Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Basic Java Question

Basic Java Question

hydra1970@gmail.com

What is the difference between front end, middle tier and backend in
regards to Java Engineers.
The way I understood is that the front end would focus on the
application, the middle tier would focus on "middleware" and the
backend would focus on the database.
Is this correct?
If there is an FAQ or another resource let me know.

Alex Molochnikov

Front end would be the user interface. In Java, this could be developed in
Swing, AWT, SWT or some other toolkit. It could also be a web-based
(browser) client, although this would not be a "Java" front end.

Middle tier is where the application business logic lives. It deals with the
problem of "what to do with the user's request, and what to send back to
them". It can be developed in J2EE (EJB, JSP, servlets etc.) or POJO (Plain
Old Java Objects), leveraging some home-made framework.

As for the back end, this is usally (but not invariably) a relational
database.

An application is made of all three layers; it is not just the "front end".

HTH

Alex Molochnikov
Gestalt Corporation

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...