Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java sucks, Perl Rules.

Reply
Thread Tools

Java sucks, Perl Rules.

 
 
atbusbook@aol.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006
in java to set a variable to a string mutable requires using the string
bulder class. but in perl you can just do this
$a = "hello";

in java to print that string you have to do this

System.out.println(a);

but in perl you just do this

print $a;

java is a staticly typed single pardigram languige thats why it sucks

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
A. Sinan Unur
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> in java to set a variable to a string mutable requires using the
> string bulder class.


When will trolls learn how to spell?

> java is a staticly typed single pardigram languige thats why it sucks


Ditto.

Please don't feed the troll.

Sinan
--
A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>
(reverse each component and remove .invalid for email address)

comp.lang.perl.misc guidelines on the WWW:
http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/cl...uidelines.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
it_says_BALLS_on_your forehead
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> in java to set a variable to a string mutable requires using the string
> bulder class. but in perl you can just do this
> $a = "hello";
>
> in java to print that string you have to do this
>
> System.out.println(a);
>
> but in perl you just do this
>
> print $a;
>
> java is a staticly typed single pardigram languige thats why it sucks


i'll have to direct my manager to this post .

 
Reply With Quote
 
atbusbook@aol.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006
You nead a 100 meg IDE because the languige is so bad that you nead
code completion and code check because of a crummy languge

 
Reply With Quote
 
Hal Rosser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> You nead a 100 meg IDE because the languige is so bad that you nead
> code completion and code check because of a crummy languge
>

you must have java mixed up with VB.net
we (can) use dos edit to write code, compile, and run java programs.

Anyway, we were all wondering what you thought about java, and by george,
you were nice enough to post your opinion. Don't forget to tell the other
99,000+- newsgroups as well, and let us know when you have written an office
suite in Perl (like OpenOffice.org has in Java). Have fun in your adventures
in perl.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel Dyer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:47:20 -0000, Hal Rosser <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Anyway, we were all wondering what you thought about java, and by george,
> you were nice enough to post your opinion. Don't forget to tell the other
> 99,000+- newsgroups as well, and let us know when you have written an
> office
> suite in Perl (like OpenOffice.org has in Java). Have fun in your
> adventures
> in perl.


Er, your point is sound but your example's not. The majority of
OpenOffice.org is written in C++. It is possible to write add-ons in
Java, Python and one or two other languages though.

Dan.

--
Daniel Dyer
http://www.dandyer.co.uk
 
Reply With Quote
 
Hal Rosser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006

>
> Er, your point is sound but your example's not. The majority of
> OpenOffice.org is written in C++. It is possible to write add-ons in
> Java, Python and one or two other languages though.
>
> Dan.


oops - my bad. I thought open office.org was written in Java since it
originated at Sun.
Yeah I almost tried Jython to check it out.
OTOH perl is a great language, I especially like its treatment of Regular
expressions and the way you can throw a variable into a double-quoted
string. But its not made for the larger projects.




 
Reply With Quote
 
Jürgen Exner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> in java to set a variable to a string mutable requires using the
> string bulder class. but in perl you can just do this
> $a = "hello";


$a has a special meaning in sort(), therefore it is poor practice to use is
as a generic variable.
You may want to pick a different name.

jue


 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel Dyer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 23:31:47 -0000, Hal Rosser <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>>
>> Er, your point is sound but your example's not. The majority of
>> OpenOffice.org is written in C++. It is possible to write add-ons in
>> Java, Python and one or two other languages though.
>>
>> Dan.

>
> oops - my bad. I thought open office.org was written in Java since it
> originated at Sun.


Open Office has its roots in StarOffice, which was originally developed by
the German company Star Division, who were later purchased by Sun. Star
Office still exists as a commercial version of Open Office with some added
features.

Corel produced a Java office suite in the late 90s. It was not a big
success. It would be much more feasible now with the huge strides Java
has made in terms of performance and GUI toolkits, not to mention the much
more capable machines we have these days.

Dan.

--
Daniel Dyer
http://www.dandyer.co.uk
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pickleman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2006
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > in java to set a variable to a string mutable requires using the
> > string bulder class. but in perl you can just do this
> > $a = "hello";

>
> $a has a special meaning in sort(), therefore it is poor practice to use is
> as a generic variable.
> You may want to pick a different name.
>
> jue


Yeah, that's what $foo was designed for.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? PerlFAQ Server Perl Misc 0 02-27-2011 11:00 PM
FAQ 2.17 What is perl.com? Perl Mongers? pm.org? perl.org? cpan.org? PerlFAQ Server Perl Misc 0 02-03-2011 11:00 AM
FAQ 1.4 What are Perl 4, Perl 5, or Perl 6? PerlFAQ Server Perl Misc 0 01-23-2011 05:00 AM
Perl Pro but Java Newbie: Need nudge in proper direction for myfavorite Perl routine in Java /usr/ceo Java 32 09-15-2008 12:12 AM
Perl Help - Windows Perl script accessing a Unix perl Script dpackwood Perl 3 09-30-2003 02:56 AM



Advertisments