Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java Exec Problem with Unzip

Java Exec Problem with Unzip

Roedy Green

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:31:19 +1000, "Tony Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>And do what with that information? Will that somehow invalidate the
>java.util.zip package not supporting the zip algorithm?
>I think I can wipe my brow - I'm not delusional after all.

If you go downloading zips out on the net, they could be compressed
with any of a dozen algorithms. If you try to unpack them with Java
you will often fail. If you create zips, few other people will have
trouble with them. See my raspberry on one cheap trick java.util.zip
does, perhaps unavoidably. It screwed me up when I was trying to
process zips produed by Java.. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/zip.html

Zip has two uses, as an interchange format where its permissiveness
for alternative algorithms as a pain in the butt, and locally for
squeezing where it allows for innovation and much better performance.

What makes it worse is some compression algorithms are considered
secret and proprietary. PHHT! In heaven Katz would demand all
alternates have public specifications and reference implemenations.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Luc The Perverse

"Tony Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 09:35:28 +1000, "Tony Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>
>> >WTF? Got any proof?

>> go read the winzip and pkzip websites where they talk about
>> proprietary super compressor algorithms.
>> --
>> Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
>> http://mindprod.com Java custom programming, consulting and coaching.

> And do what with that information? Will that somehow invalidate the
> java.util.zip package not supporting the zip algorithm?
> I think I can wipe my brow - I'm not delusional after all.

I think you need to take some medication and settle down.

Depending on what you are trying to to do with java.util.zip this could be a
serious problem - and people will blame you, not the maker of a proprietary
or non conforming algorithm.

--
LTP