Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > running applets with 1.6

running applets with 1.6

Roedy Green

I installed the prerelease 1.6 JRE. It did not touch my Java control
panel or register itself with it. So how do you trick a browser into
using it?
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

zero

Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I installed the prerelease 1.6 JRE. It did not touch my Java control
> panel or register itself with it. So how do you trick a browser into
> using it?

Just a wild guess, but it may work - only for Opera under Windows.

Opera uses the registry to find the current JRE, and uses that to run
applets. You may be able to make Opera use the new version by temporarily
changing the registry setting

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/JavaSoft/Java Runtime
Environment/CurrentVersion

If there is no sub-key 1.6 you may need to make it. Just copy the 1.5 one
and change the relevant paths.

Mickey Segal

"zero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Just a wild guess, but it may work - only for Opera under Windows.

JRE 1.6 appears in the Java Control Panel on Windows XP and works in
Internet Explorer and Firefox. For reasons I can't remember I uninstalled
Sun Java 1.5 and installed 1.6 and it seems to work as expected.