Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Why doesn't Tomcat identify itself?

Why doesn't Tomcat identify itself?

timjowers@gmail.com

Netcraft shows only 423 sites running Apache Tomcat versus 50,502,840
running Apache and 15,208,775 runninig IIS. When I searched my site
which runs Tomcat 5 Netcraft was unable to determine the type. Anybody
know what is the deal here?

http://survey.netcraft.com/Reports/0601/

Here Netcraft lists what is counted as Apache but makes no mention of
Tomcat.
http://survey.netcraft.com/Reports/200601/platform.html

I have trouble believing out of the 75,251,256 sites surveyed that only
423 are running Apache Tomcat.

im

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 06:25:46 -0800, timjowers wrote:

> Netcraft shows only 423 sites running Apache Tomcat versus 50,502,840
> running Apache and 15,208,775 runninig IIS. When I searched my site
> which runs Tomcat 5 Netcraft was unable to determine the type. Anybody
> know what is the deal here?

Many Tomcat servers run behind Apache front ends. Also, a default Tomcat
configuration identifies itself as Coyote (the http connector), in
the Server header.

Imre

Bruce Lewis

> I have trouble believing out of the 75,251,256 sites surveyed that only
> 423 are running Apache Tomcat.

I would guess that's tomcat standalone. More people running standalone
Java-based servers choose Resin, AOLserver, WebLogic, Jetty or JRun.
(The site in my sig runs Jetty.) Tomcat/Jetty/etc using mod_jk with the
Apache web server are likely counted as Apache.

--

http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
photos for your family or group.

timjowers@gmail.com

Thanks, I should have looked at the headers. What I was after is how
many run Tomcat v WebLogic v WebSphere v JBoss and I think this is the
measurement then:

Apache 50,502,840
IIS 15,208,775
Sun-ONE-Web-Server 1,551,930
Tomcat 184,044 + % (Apache-Coyote 183621,
Tomcat 423)
Resin 69,736
WebLogic 13,601
Jetty 7,973
JRun 7,905
WebSphere 6,671
%: What % of Apache sites have mod_jk?

Of course like mentioned WebLogic may also be behind Apache such as
my previous project where they did this for reverse DNS and for single
sign-on. Not sure about JBoss, Geronimo, JoNAS but looks like Open
Source still dominates for Web Sites (but not sure about Web Traffic or
App Servers).

TimJowers