Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Applet will not load

Applet will not load

tadamsmar@yahoo.com

I have an applet out on a server.

It loads on my home machine, but it will not load from the server at
work. It use to load from work, but I recently updated it.

You can access it here:

http://home.nc.rr.com/wtadams/poologic/poolcalc.htm

It is poolcalcf.class

Let me know if the applet loads for you.

IchBin

> I have an applet out on a server.
>
> It loads on my home machine, but it will not load from the server at
> work. It use to load from work, but I recently updated it.
>
> You can access it here:
>
> http://home.nc.rr.com/wtadams/poologic/poolcalc.htm
>
> It is poolcalcf.class
>
> Let me know if the applet loads for you.

Loads for me.. but all of the input fields contains '?'

--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

tadamsmar@yahoo.com

IchBin wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I have an applet out on a server.
> >
> > It loads on my home machine, but it will not load from the server at
> > work. It use to load from work, but I recently updated it.
> >
> > You can access it here:
> >
> > http://home.nc.rr.com/wtadams/poologic/poolcalc.htm
> >
> > It is poolcalcf.class
> >
> > Let me know if the applet loads for you.
> >

> Loads for me.. but all of the input fields contains '?'

Thanks!

That's a feature. You gotta hit the calculate button.

I figured out my problem. My compiler was newer than my jre.

I have to use:

javac -target 1.1 fubar.java

To get a class file compatible with the older jre on my work computer

This is an IE "feature"

> --
>
> Thanks in Advance...
> IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA
> http://weconsultants.servebeer.com/JHackerAppManager
> __________________________________________________ ________________________
>
> 'If there is one, Knowledge is the "Fountain of Youth"'
> -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Roedy Green

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:22:57 -0500, IchBin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,

>> http://home.nc.rr.com/wtadams/poologic/poolcalc.htm
>>
>> It is poolcalcf.class
>>
>> Let me know if the applet loads for you.
>>

>Loads for me.. but all of the input fields contains '?'

ditto for me. clicking calculate fills in fields.

suggestions:

1. put it in a jar
2. fix your initialisation
3. get the machine that does not work to run Wassup
http://mindprod.com/applets/wassup.html
to see what level of Java they have. It may be too old.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

tadamsmar@yahoo.com

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:22:57 -0500, IchBin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,
>
> >> http://home.nc.rr.com/wtadams/poologic/poolcalc.htm
> >>
> >> It is poolcalcf.class
> >>
> >> Let me know if the applet loads for you.
> >>

> >Loads for me.. but all of the input fields contains '?'

> ditto for me. clicking calculate fills in fields.
>
> suggestions:
>
> 1. put it in a jar
> 2. fix your initialisation
> 3. get the machine that does not work to run Wassup
> http://mindprod.com/applets/wassup.html
> to see what level of Java they have. It may be too old.

Thanks. nice site.

I am interested in having my applets on that site run on as many
computers
as possible.

I recompiled them with -target 1.1 but I wonder what the earliest
version of jre
is that a use might have.

tadamsmar@yahoo.com

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:22:57 -0500, IchBin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,
>
> >> http://home.nc.rr.com/wtadams/poologic/poolcalc.htm
> >>
> >> It is poolcalcf.class
> >>
> >> Let me know if the applet loads for you.
> >>

> >Loads for me.. but all of the input fields contains '?'

> ditto for me. clicking calculate fills in fields.
>
> suggestions:
>
> 1. put it in a jar
> 2. fix your initialisation
> 3. get the machine that does not work to run Wassup
> http://mindprod.com/applets/wassup.html
> to see what level of Java they have. It may be too old.

Thanks. nice site.

I am interested in having my applets on that site run on as many
computers
as possible.

I recompiled them with -target 1.1 but I wonder what the earliest
version of jre
is that a user might have.

> --
> Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
> http://mindprod.com Java custom programming, consulting and coaching.

Roedy Green

On 26 Jan 2006 04:48:55 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote, quoted or
indirectly quoted someone who said :

>I recompiled them with -target 1.1 but I wonder what the earliest
>version of jre
>is that a use might have.

The oldest Java you deal with is the Trojan horse Microsoft put out
and abandoned which is version 1.1. Many of my applets I still hold at
the 1.1 level for that reason. There is nothing around prior to that
of any significance.

The event model changed drastically in 1.0 to 1.1. I just flipped my
last 1.0 app over a month ago to get rid of the deprecation warnings.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.