Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Invitation to JAVA professionals (Need Help)

Invitation to JAVA professionals (Need Help)

k.vidura@gmail.com

Hello group.

I'm an undergraduate studying for my bachelor degree in CMB
University. http://www.viduranet.com/inforum/ is the only available
forum for BIT students. A fundamental of programming is one subject we
have to face. And all of us are absolute beginners.

We really appreciate if you can actively help us by answering our JAVA
problems as there is a forum for JAVA.

Please not this is not to collect members to that forum only to get
help of JAVA professionals.

Your attention with regards to this matter would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) said:
>Hello group.
>
>I'm an undergraduate studying for my bachelor degree in CMB
>University. http://www.viduranet.com/inforum/ is the only available
>forum for BIT students. A fundamental of programming is one subject we
>have to face. And all of us are absolute beginners.
>
>We really appreciate if you can actively help us by answering our JAVA
>problems as there is a forum for JAVA.

Funny thing about universities - there is a person there who is PAID to
answer your questions. Not only that, but he or she is probably really
familiar with the course.

Even more importantly, that person will help you make sure you're actually
getting some value out of your time there by NOT doing your homework for
you, but just giving you enough help for you to figure it out by yourself.
Because there is a great danger with asking strangers for help is that
we'll end up doing all the work, and you'll come out of university with a
degree that isn't worth the paper it's printed on, as you and the local
businesses will discover after you've been fired a few times for not
knowing what your degree says you know. I know, I've fired several people
like that, and thrown several dozen resumes in the garbage after seeing a
pattern of frequent job changes.

--
Paul Tomblin <(E-Mail Removed)> http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Graffiti has merely machine-gunned the surviving handwriting ability

Andrea Desole

Paul Tomblin wrote:
> and thrown several dozen resumes in the garbage after seeing a
> pattern of frequent job changes.

I don't know exactly how frequent and how many job changes define your
pattern, but it would be maybe fair to consider the possibility that
such a pattern can also be caused by incompetent companies, and not only
by incompetent candidates.

Sameer

Why you are asking for help?
There is a lot of help/documentation available for Java technology
which is totally FREE!
For a newbie the 'Java Tutorial' from Java Series which is free
available to download is a great place to start.
Try the tutorials from
ibm.com/java
by creating an IBM account, which are also free ones and little ones
for newbies.

Little googling will help you a lot!

Happy coding.
-Sameer

zero

Andrea Desole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dcda9
$43d519a6$d468cb3c$(E-Mail Removed):

> Paul Tomblin wrote:
>> and thrown several dozen resumes in the garbage after seeing a
>> pattern of frequent job changes.
>>

> I don't know exactly how frequent and how many job changes define your
> pattern, but it would be maybe fair to consider the possibility that
> such a pattern can also be caused by incompetent companies, and not only
> by incompetent candidates.

Very true. IMO a resume is only an indication, and the only way to get a
real feel of your applicant's knowledge is a test.

Oliver Wong

"zero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Andrea Desole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dcda9
> $43d519a6$d468cb3c$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Paul Tomblin wrote:
>>> and thrown several dozen resumes in the garbage after seeing a
>>> pattern of frequent job changes.
>>>

>> I don't know exactly how frequent and how many job changes define your
>> pattern, but it would be maybe fair to consider the possibility that
>> such a pattern can also be caused by incompetent companies, and not only
>> by incompetent candidates.

> Very true. IMO a resume is only an indication, and the only way to get a
> real feel of your applicant's knowledge is a test.

On the other hand, I believe most IT companies receive more resumes than
they'd care for when they advertise for a position, and it costs time and
money to actually interview and test candidates, so the more candidates they
can eliminate (by expecting near flawless resumes), the cheaper it is for
them to run through their recruitment process.

Yes, there's a risk of inadvertently turning away an excellent
candidate, but business is about balancing risks and costs, and hiring new
people, when done properly, is an expensive task.

- Oliver

Roedy Green

On 23 Jan 2006 09:27:44 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote, quoted or
indirectly quoted someone who said :

>I'm an undergraduate studying for my bachelor degree in CMB
>University. http://www.viduranet.com/inforum/ is the only available
>forum for BIT students. A fundamental of programming is one subject we
>have to face. And all of us are absolute beginners.

If you want help from this group, someone will have to post questions
on its behalf here, and relay the responses back.

I don't like answering questions in email. The answer then is useful
to only one person. Ditto for answering in a limited forum. It is
poor leveraging of effort.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Andrea Desole <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>Paul Tomblin wrote:
>> and thrown several dozen resumes in the garbage after seeing a
>> pattern of frequent job changes.
>>

>I don't know exactly how frequent and how many job changes define your
>pattern, but it would be maybe fair to consider the possibility that
>such a pattern can also be caused by incompetent companies, and not only
>by incompetent candidates.

Yes, my resume has a couple of short (less than one year) stints. But it
also has one of 6 years and a couple of 4 years.

I was given a bunch of resumes by HR for my last opening, and a couple of
them had ONLY short stints. The ones who'd had only a couple of 3 month
jobs since college got thrown away. Some of the others got a technical
interview. Some of the technical interviews are the reason why I suspect
that many recent graduates bought themselves degrees without actually
learning anything.

--
Paul Tomblin <(E-Mail Removed)> http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
You're nicer than I. I was thinking "Mark, would you recognize a clue

Dimitri Maziuk

Andrea Desole sez:
> Paul Tomblin wrote:
>> and thrown several dozen resumes in the garbage after seeing a
>> pattern of frequent job changes.
>>

> I don't know exactly how frequent and how many job changes define your
> pattern, but it would be maybe fair to consider the possibility that
> such a pattern can also be caused by incompetent companies, and not only
> by incompetent candidates.

On the gripping hand, if the candidate keeps accepting jobs at
incompetent companies, time after time after time...

Dima
--
Well, lusers are technically human. -- Red Drag Diva

Andrea Desole

Paul Tomblin wrote:

> Yes, my resume has a couple of short (less than one year) stints. But it
> also has one of 6 years and a couple of 4 years.
>
> I was given a bunch of resumes by HR for my last opening, and a couple of
> them had ONLY short stints. The ones who'd had only a couple of 3 month
> jobs since college got thrown away. Some of the others got a technical
> interview. Some of the technical interviews are the reason why I suspect
> that many recent graduates bought themselves degrees without actually
> learning anything.

these values look to me quite fair. But there are also people who
consider something like 5 years an "ideal" time, and don't appreciate it
if someone has worked for a company shorter or longer. Not that the CV
is thrown away; it's just considered as something negative.
Concerning the quality of the people interviewed, I'm not sure the
duration of their jobs makes a difference. But I might be wrong