Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Missing Stack Trace usign log4j

Missing Stack Trace usign log4j

brian.vanheesch@gmail.com

I am creating a custom log4j appender (extends AppenderSkeleton) to
record data into a previous developed logging system.

On occasion (18 times out of test order 120,000 executions) (not
reproducable, as of yet), I get the following message in my log file:

>> 160954.679:Notification Processor #4:INFO

com.datamodel.WorkOrder - CANNOT PROCESS PROPERLY
java.lang.NullPointerException

>> 160954.679:Notification Processor #4:INFO

the line prefixed with ">>" is the log header record.

My problem is that I do not know whether the NPE exception is generated
and reported in the appender or in the calling code; since there is no
stack trace printed.

Is there appender debugging tools or can someone offer a suggestion
here?