Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > 32/64 bit JVM

32/64 bit JVM

bhushann@gmail.com

Hi,

I had few queries related to JVM.
1) Is it possible to run one application in 32 bit JVM and another in
64 bit JVM on the same machine? If yes, how?
2) how do we know what version of JVM is being used by java
application.

Thanks and Rgds,
Bhushan

Francesco Devittori

> Hi,
>
> I had few queries related to JVM.
> 1) Is it possible to run one application in 32 bit JVM and another in
> 64 bit JVM on the same machine? If yes, how?
> 2) how do we know what version of JVM is being used by java
> application.
>
> Thanks and Rgds,
> Bhushan

I may be wrong, but I think the VM is the same, a 64-bit VM is just a VM
that runs on 64-bit hardware.
Your app does not care about this, in the same way that it does not care
wether the VM runs on windows, linux or something else: the "java-side"
is always the same.

Francesco

Nigel Wade

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had few queries related to JVM.
> 1) Is it possible to run one application in 32 bit JVM and another in
> 64 bit JVM on the same machine? If yes, how?

Install both a 32bit and 64bit JVM, then run the relevant java executable for
each.

> 2) how do we know what version of JVM is being used by java
> application.

The Sun and Blackdown JVMs provide this property:

sun.arch.data.model=32
sun.arch.data.model=64

for their 32bit/64bit JVMs. I don't know about any others.

E-mail : (E-Mail Removed)
Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

bhushann@gmail.com

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for the reply. This has definately helped us.

Thanks again.

Rgds,
Bhushan