Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Distrituting Giant Files

Distrituting Giant Files

Roedy Green

I have been studying up on the latest BitTorrent.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/bittorrent.html

It lets you distribute very large files with minimal overhead on your
part.

You don't need ANY serverside software. What you do need is a PC
running BitTorrent client with access to the bundles you want to
distribute. This is called the seed. If many people download, people
mostly share the pages with each other. So no matter how many
downloaders there are, your overhead does not increase.

So this lets you could distribute whacking create downloads like JVMs,
radio shows, videos, movies, rants, with minimal investment, justan
old PC in your LAN.

There is a Java BitTorrent client called Azureus.

The only thing you have to do to your server is set up .the .torrent
mime type application/x-bittorrent.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Luc The Perverse

"Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been studying up on the latest BitTorrent.
>
> see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/bittorrent.html
>
> It lets you distribute very large files with minimal overhead on your
> part.
>
> You don't need ANY serverside software. What you do need is a PC
> running BitTorrent client with access to the bundles you want to
> distribute. This is called the seed. If many people download, people
> mostly share the pages with each other. So no matter how many
> downloaders there are, your overhead does not increase.
>
> So this lets you could distribute whacking create downloads like JVMs,
> radio shows, videos, movies, rants, with minimal investment, justan
> old PC in your LAN.
>
> There is a Java BitTorrent client called Azureus.
>
> The only thing you have to do to your server is set up .the .torrent
> mime type application/x-bittorrent.

I recently downloaded and installed BitTorrent - and I have been generally
happy with it.

Don't forget to set up the TCP port forwarding if you, like most people, are
behind a NAT.

--
LTP

Scott Ellsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote:

> The only thing you have to do to your server is set up .the .torrent
> mime type application/x-bittorrent.

There is one other problem - in order to share well, you need to have a
fixed internal IP and to configure your router to forward a small stash
of ports.

I have no a priori problems with opening a port, but my entire internal
network is set to dhcp, so I do not have to fiddle on remappings. It
would make my life easier if the BT had implemented UPnP-NAT and
NAT-PMP. See <http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts/2005/Jul> for a
fairly well described reason why we might want this.

(I am using Azerus; if other clients do this, I may just switch.)

Scott

--
Scott Ellsworth
Java and database consulting for the life sciences

Roedy Green

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 15:56:26 -0800, Scott Ellsworth <(E-Mail Removed)>

>(I am using Azerus; if other clients do this, I may just switch.)

I am using BitTorrent client. One thing I don't like about it is it
won't tell you if it has successfully negotiated the firewall and what
ports it is using.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Luc The Perverse

"Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 15:56:26 -0800, Scott Ellsworth <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

>>(I am using Azerus; if other clients do this, I may just switch.)

> I am using BitTorrent client. One thing I don't like about it is it
> won't tell you if it has successfully negotiated the firewall and what
> ports it is using.

??? The ports are completely configurable in the settings.

And if it isn't making it in through the firewall you will know, because
your speeds will be atrocious (sp?) and no one will ever be able to download
from you.

--
LTP

Roedy Green

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 19:31:56 -0700, "Luc The Perverse"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly
quoted someone who said :

>And if it isn't making it in through the firewall you will know, because
>your speeds will be atrocious (sp?) and no one will ever be able to download
>from you.

The speeds may be atrocious, but if you are a new user, you don't know
what sort of speed to expect. And for the thing to work you must be
able to both upload and download, even if inefficiently.

I would just like it to give you positive feedback you have nailed it.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Luc The Perverse

"Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>And if it isn't making it in through the firewall you will know, because
>>your speeds will be atrocious (sp?) and no one will ever be able to
>>download
>>from you.

> The speeds may be atrocious, but if you are a new user, you don't know
> what sort of speed to expect. And for the thing to work you must be
> able to both upload and download, even if inefficiently.
>
> I would just like it to give you positive feedback you have nailed it.

Well yeah I do see what you mean.

Maybe even a test button?

You could always make it a student project.

--
LTP

Steve Horsley

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 15:56:26 -0800, Scott Ellsworth <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> (I am using Azerus; if other clients do this, I may just switch.)

> I am using BitTorrent client. One thing I don't like about it is it
> won't tell you if it has successfully negotiated the firewall and what
> ports it is using.

Roedy,

I suggest you take a look at Azureus. As a java programmer
yourself you might appreciate the fact that it is a pure java
application (using SWT though, I think). It has a tool to test
your incoming connectivity (I guess it calls their server for a
callback, but haven't traced it to be sure). And it has an
awsomely wide configuration and setup. Also a pretty graphical
representation of all the chunks being exchanged between yourself
and peers. I think it's a real tour-de-force.

Steve

IchBin

Steve Horsley wrote:
> Roedy Green wrote:
>> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 15:56:26 -0800, Scott Ellsworth <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>
>>> (I am using Azerus; if other clients do this, I may just switch.)

>> I am using BitTorrent client. One thing I don't like about it is it
>> won't tell you if it has successfully negotiated the firewall and what
>> ports it is using.

> Roedy,
>
> I suggest you take a look at Azureus. As a java programmer yourself you
> might appreciate the fact that it is a pure java application (using SWT
> though, I think). It has a tool to test your incoming connectivity (I
> guess it calls their server for a callback, but haven't traced it to be
> sure). And it has an awsomely wide configuration and setup. Also a
> pretty graphical representation of all the chunks being exchanged
> between yourself and peers. I think it's a real tour-de-force.
>
> Steve

Cool..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azureus
--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Oliver Wong

"Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been studying up on the latest BitTorrent.
>
> see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/bittorrent.html
>
> It lets you distribute very large files with minimal overhead on your
> part.
>
> You don't need ANY serverside software. What you do need is a PC
> running BitTorrent client with access to the bundles you want to
> distribute. This is called the seed. If many people download, people
> mostly share the pages with each other. So no matter how many
> downloaders there are, your overhead does not increase.
>
> So this lets you could distribute whacking create downloads like JVMs,
> radio shows, videos, movies, rants, with minimal investment, justan
> old PC in your LAN.
>
> There is a Java BitTorrent client called Azureus.
>
> The only thing you have to do to your server is set up .the .torrent
> mime type application/x-bittorrent.

I'm fascinated by the bittorrent protocol and often wonder how it
manages to achieve the efficientcy that it does, especially since it does
not seem to be conceptually radically different from, for example, the
eDonkey protocol, and yet consistently outperforms the eDonkey protocol. As
part of an examination for a university course on TCP/IP and Internet
Protocol in general, I chose to research and write a bit about the
bittorrent protocol. One of these days, I'll have to take a look at eDonkey,
and try to figure out exactly what key element is missing to give eDonkey
the same performance.

In the traditional bittorrent protocol, you DO need a server. It's
referred to as a "tracker", and all the peers connect to the tracker to
announce their presence, and locate other peers. The tracker does not itself
host any files (other than the .torrent file, which is usually less than 10
kilobytes), which is why it may seem at first like no server is involved.

Traditionally, every torrent is related to exactly one tracker, but a
tracker can host multiple torrents at a time. A user can download from
multiple torrents at a time. Whether a single instance of the application is
run to manage all the torrents, or a new instance is created for each
torrent, is left up to the implementor of the client program.

The people behind Azureus created an extension to the bittorrent
protocol that allows it to discover new peers without a tracker. Azureus
uses a single instance of manage all the torrents the user wishes to
download. As such, a single instance of Azureus could be connected to
multiple trackers simultaneously. When an Azureus client discovers another
Azureus client as a peer, they will exchange a list of known peers, thus
allowing the discovery of new peers without the usage of a tracker.

Since then, other clients of the bittorrent protocol have implemented
support for Azureus' trackerless extension, but it is a "only" a defacto
standard, not one officially endorsed by the creators of the bittorrent
protocol.

Also, some trackers were meant to be private (e.g. sharing family home
videos that you don't want others to see, or sharing illegal software that
you don't want other people to know about, etc.), and so yet another
extension was created ontop of Azureus' extension which allows for specific
torrents to be marked as "private", meaning that a well-behaving client
should not share peers that it located via a private torrent.

Not all clients have implemented the above "private" extension, and so
the tracker softwares have been modified to blacklist certain clients which
do not respect the private flag, thus bring more awareness to the fact that
bittorrent is still, at its core, a server oriented protocol.

- Oliver

OT: One small step for Neil, one giant leap for NeilKind... PC LOAD LETTER MCSE 65 01-24-2006 07:29 PM
M$ beta antishpyware (version of Giant) Joel Rubin Computer Support 0 01-06-2005 02:25 PM
dot1q and giant frames carl Cisco 1 10-29-2004 07:05 PM
Re: DFS Strength Waning...Lilliputian Advocates Slay The Giant... Cola.E, the protozoic, hurtling fuck Computer Support 0 06-27-2004 08:07 AM
Giant: Not Anamorphic! Richard C. DVD Video 36 07-05-2003 11:17 AM

Advertisments