Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Real tiny JVM?

Real tiny JVM?

daniel.w.gelder@gmail.com

I was wondering if there was a real tiny virtual machine that could be
embedded into native projects? Something with a basic garbage collector
and language support, but not necessarily AWT and network stuff.

Thanks
Dan

Zoonosis

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I was wondering if there was a real tiny virtual machine that could be
> embedded into native projects? Something with a basic garbage collector
> and language support, but not necessarily AWT and network stuff.

Check out the "TINI" microcontrollers from Dallas Semiconductor / Maxim.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/microcontrollers/tini/

daniel.w.gelder@gmail.com

Haha, that is "TINI" all right.

But I meant, something to run on desktops, embedded in a regular
executable.

Dan
Happy New You're Still In Iraq

Zoonosis

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Haha, that is "TINI" all right.
>
> But I meant, something to run on desktops, embedded in a regular
> executable.

Yes, I realized that -- right after I hit "Send." My apologies. I am an
Embedded s/w engineer, so when I saw the word "embedded" in your post,
naturally I assumed that you were building an embedded device.

Luc The Perverse

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I was wondering if there was a real tiny virtual machine that could be
> embedded into native projects? Something with a basic garbage collector
> and language support, but not necessarily AWT and network stuff.

There is an open source GNU JVM implementation. You could cut it down to
make it arbitrarily small.

Or you may simply want to natively compile your byte code if that is
applicable.

--
LTP

Roedy Green