Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Course Materials

Reply
Thread Tools

Course Materials

 
 
pemo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-20-2005
I've just been told that I have to teach two three hour sessions on - 'an
intro to java' in early January. Looks like I'm faced with having to work
through Christmas, or find some friendly source for 'inspiration'.

Any suggestions most welcome!

x-posted:comp.lang.java.advocacy; comp.lang.java.help;
comp.lang.java-programmer


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
yakovfain@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-20-2005
I wrote the whole bunch of Java intro lessons, which are located over
here:
http://www.smartdataprocessing.com



pemo wrote:
> I've just been told that I have to teach two three hour sessions on - 'an
> intro to java' in early January. Looks like I'm faced with having to work
> through Christmas, or find some friendly source for 'inspiration'.
>
> Any suggestions most welcome!
>
> x-posted:comp.lang.java.advocacy; comp.lang.java.help;
> comp.lang.java-programmer


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paulus de Boska
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-20-2005
http://javalessons.com

Paul Hamaker
SEMM

 
Reply With Quote
 
zero
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2005
"pemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:do9nsr$5im$(E-Mail Removed):

> I've just been told that I have to teach two three hour sessions on -
> 'an intro to java' in early January. Looks like I'm faced with having
> to work through Christmas, or find some friendly source for
> 'inspiration'.
>
> Any suggestions most welcome!
>
> x-posted:comp.lang.java.advocacy; comp.lang.java.help;
> comp.lang.java-programmer
>
>


A lot depends on your audience. Do they have a background in OOAD? Do
they know other OO languages, or non-OO languages?

Deitel & Associates, Inc. (www.deitel.com) has a lot of teacher's
resources, including lecture slides, examples and student files. Sun's
Java site (java.sun.com) has a lot of online tutorials, some of which can
be downloaded for offline viewing. My suggestion would be to first think
about what you need in respect of what your students already know, and then
search for appropriate material online.

--
Beware the False Authority Syndrome
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rhino
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2005

"zero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9733900C161EEzerothishi@195.130.132.70...
> "pemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:do9nsr$5im$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I've just been told that I have to teach two three hour sessions on -
>> 'an intro to java' in early January. Looks like I'm faced with having
>> to work through Christmas, or find some friendly source for
>> 'inspiration'.
>>
>> Any suggestions most welcome!
>>
>> x-posted:comp.lang.java.advocacy; comp.lang.java.help;
>> comp.lang.java-programmer
>>
>>

>
> A lot depends on your audience. Do they have a background in OOAD? Do
> they know other OO languages, or non-OO languages?
>
> Deitel & Associates, Inc. (www.deitel.com) has a lot of teacher's
> resources, including lecture slides, examples and student files. Sun's
> Java site (java.sun.com) has a lot of online tutorials, some of which can
> be downloaded for offline viewing. My suggestion would be to first think
> about what you need in respect of what your students already know, and
> then
> search for appropriate material online.
>

I agree with zero on this.

Two 3-hour sessions on Java is not very much at all. A proper course to
teach Java thoroughly would probably run for a week at the very least,
probably several weeks, assuming the student had no previous programming
experience. You can't cover very much ground at all in six hours....

I'm a very big believer in exercises to reinforce knowledge. I rarely
understand things until I've had a chance to apply them and I've found that
this applies to many other students as well. (I've spent years earning the
bulk of my income from teaching computer courses.) But with only six hours
at your disposal, I think you'll want to choose your content very carefully
and exercises are probably not going to be a top priority.

What to choose for your course really depends on what the purpose of the
course is.

_IF_ the students are simply attending your course to get an overview of
Java and will _definitely_ have a much longer course afterwards covering
Java thoroughly, then you would probably be best to present basic OO and
Java concepts to give them a good foundation for the follow-on course.
Time permitting, you could even have a short exercise where they write,
compile and execute a Hello World program or something not much more
sophisticated.

However, _IF_ your students are going to decide whether to take the
follow-on course based on your course, things get trickier. Then you
probably need to make an effort to "sell" the follow-on course with your
course. You'll need to excite them about Java and show them all the magical
things it can do without giving them a dishonest picture of the language.
(You don't want to tell them that it is the easiest language in the world,
that they will be able to write sophisticated, well-designed programs the
first day, or other such nonsense.) But you can highlight Java's many
excellent features, the concept of WORE (Write Once Run Everywhere)
[although you may want to warn them that some platform differences will
likely still have to be addressed], the wealth of slick developer tools for
Java, the greatly improved performance since the early days of Java, and so
forth. You can also demonstrate some of the better programs and tools for
Java and mention that Java programs can take the form of applets,
applications, servlets, midlets, etc. Again, a simple exercise that develops
a Hello World program would be a nice capper to the course so that they can
see that a simple application can be done easily in Java.

But _IF_ your course is actually supposed to pretend to teach some
appreciable amount of the Java language to people who are new to Java, or
maybe to programming in general, I think it is time for a major reality
check. You simply can't do that in 6 hours under any circumstances I can
conceive. Java is too complex to teach any major chunk of it in 6 hours.
Period. Now, you could possibly teach the basic statements, like 'if' and
'while' and so forth, as well as the operators and the primitive datatypes
in 6 hours but I doubt that would do students much good: your students would
still need to have some concept of Objects and Classes to do much of
anything with the statements and operators.

Rhino


 
Reply With Quote
 
pemo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2005

"Rhino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:l_fqf.1895$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
> "zero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9733900C161EEzerothishi@195.130.132.70...
>> "pemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:do9nsr$5im$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I've just been told that I have to teach two three hour sessions on -
>>> 'an intro to java' in early January. Looks like I'm faced with having
>>> to work through Christmas, or find some friendly source for
>>> 'inspiration'.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions most welcome!
>>>
>>> x-posted:comp.lang.java.advocacy; comp.lang.java.help;
>>> comp.lang.java-programmer
>>>
>>>

>>
>> A lot depends on your audience. Do they have a background in OOAD? Do
>> they know other OO languages, or non-OO languages?
>>
>> Deitel & Associates, Inc. (www.deitel.com) has a lot of teacher's
>> resources, including lecture slides, examples and student files. Sun's
>> Java site (java.sun.com) has a lot of online tutorials, some of which can
>> be downloaded for offline viewing. My suggestion would be to first think
>> about what you need in respect of what your students already know, and
>> then
>> search for appropriate material online.
>>

> I agree with zero on this.
>
> Two 3-hour sessions on Java is not very much at all. A proper course to
> teach Java thoroughly would probably run for a week at the very least,
> probably several weeks, assuming the student had no previous programming
> experience. You can't cover very much ground at all in six hours....
>
> I'm a very big believer in exercises to reinforce knowledge. I rarely
> understand things until I've had a chance to apply them and I've found
> that this applies to many other students as well. (I've spent years
> earning the bulk of my income from teaching computer courses.) But with
> only six hours at your disposal, I think you'll want to choose your
> content very carefully and exercises are probably not going to be a top
> priority.
>
> What to choose for your course really depends on what the purpose of the
> course is.
>
> _IF_ the students are simply attending your course to get an overview of
> Java and will _definitely_ have a much longer course afterwards covering
> Java thoroughly, then you would probably be best to present basic OO and
> Java concepts to give them a good foundation for the follow-on course.
> Time permitting, you could even have a short exercise where they write,
> compile and execute a Hello World program or something not much more
> sophisticated.
>
> However, _IF_ your students are going to decide whether to take the
> follow-on course based on your course, things get trickier. Then you
> probably need to make an effort to "sell" the follow-on course with your
> course. You'll need to excite them about Java and show them all the
> magical things it can do without giving them a dishonest picture of the
> language. (You don't want to tell them that it is the easiest language in
> the world, that they will be able to write sophisticated, well-designed
> programs the first day, or other such nonsense.) But you can highlight
> Java's many excellent features, the concept of WORE (Write Once Run
> Everywhere) [although you may want to warn them that some platform
> differences will likely still have to be addressed], the wealth of slick
> developer tools for Java, the greatly improved performance since the early
> days of Java, and so forth. You can also demonstrate some of the better
> programs and tools for Java and mention that Java programs can take the
> form of applets, applications, servlets, midlets, etc. Again, a simple
> exercise that develops a Hello World program would be a nice capper to the
> course so that they can see that a simple application can be done easily
> in Java.
>
> But _IF_ your course is actually supposed to pretend to teach some
> appreciable amount of the Java language to people who are new to Java, or
> maybe to programming in general, I think it is time for a major reality
> check. You simply can't do that in 6 hours under any circumstances I can
> conceive. Java is too complex to teach any major chunk of it in 6 hours.
> Period. Now, you could possibly teach the basic statements, like 'if' and
> 'while' and so forth, as well as the operators and the primitive datatypes
> in 6 hours but I doubt that would do students much good: your students
> would still need to have some concept of Objects and Classes to do much of
> anything with the statements and operators.


The course is a 'gap filler', and is intended to just cover the basics:
language constructs and some OO.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Oliver Wong
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2005

"pemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:do9nsr$5im$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just been told that I have to teach two three hour sessions on - 'an
> intro to java' in early January. Looks like I'm faced with having to work
> through Christmas, or find some friendly source for 'inspiration'.
>
> Any suggestions most welcome!
>
> x-posted:comp.lang.java.advocacy; comp.lang.java.help;
> comp.lang.java-programmer


I suggest you tell us who your target audience is (and I suggest you
find out if you don't know).

An given introductory course to java will differ significantly for these
groups of people:

* Children.
* Adults.
* People who have never "created" anything on a computer.
* People who have done some simple HTML, but no actual programming.
* People who have done some simple programming in Basic, VisualBasic, or
other "easy" languages.
* People who have significant experience in a language that is not Java-like
(e.g. LISP, COBOL, Assembler, etc.)
* People who have significant experience in a language which IS Java-like
(e.g. C#)
* People who WANT to learn.
* People who are taking this course because they "have to".

etc.

- Oliver


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2005
Oliver Wong <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I suggest you tell us who your target audience is (and I suggest you
> find out if you don't know).
>
> An given introductory course to java will differ significantly for these
> groups of people:


Good question. Another good one is this:

What are you attempting to accomplish? If your company wants to teach
someone how to program in Java, then it likely doesn't matter what you
do, since you won't accomplish that in three hours; especially not in a
"session", which implies teaching to a group instead of individual
mentoring. There's a good reason that training companies generally
offer four-day or one-week classes on that, and even then only deliver
the basic information needed to get started.

On the other hand, if your goal is to introduce someone to the idea
behind Java, the difference between JavaME, SE, EE, etc. then this is
achievable. But make sure your goals match those who gave you the
assignment, and let them know early if they are living in a fantasy land
and need to readjust their goals.

--
www.designacourse.com
The Easiest Way To Train Anyone... Anywhere.

Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer/Technical Trainer
MindIQ Corporation
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free Mircosoft & CISCO course materials at your convinence Rey MCSE 2 07-18-2007 05:55 PM
Free Mircosoft & CISCO course materials at your convinence Rey Microsoft Certification 1 05-21-2007 08:36 PM
Re: Books..and course materials.. UAError MCSD 5 05-04-2004 05:29 PM
Books..and course materials.. SandeepS MCSD 0 04-30-2004 09:50 AM
Books..and course materials.. MCSD 0 04-27-2004 09:22 PM



Advertisments