Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless file sharing with netbios

wireless file sharing with netbios

Mark Klebanoff

I've been posting here for a while about how I can't get filesharing
to work on my wireless computer using NETBIOS. The computer is a Dell
Inspiron 5150 running XP with the 1300 internal wireless card, and the
other computers (wired) use XP Pro and OS/2. The wireless router is a
WRT54g.

After much trial and error I back-leveled the wireless card's driver
to one I found on the internet-- the generic Broadcom 3.100.46.0
version. The file is bcmwl5.sys. Now wireless file sharing works
perfectly. I haven't experimented with releases newer than that one
but older than the current one, so I don't know when NETBIOS was
broken.

Is anyone else aware of this issue-- was the change to the driver
deliberate (since Micro$oft no longer supports netbeui) or was it an
accident?