Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > JavaBeans, Enterprise Java Beans

JavaBeans, Enterprise Java Beans

Andersen

I have read that the main purpose of JavaBeans is to build reusable
components that can be visually manipulated by a visual builder tool
(similar to delphi, visual basic etc).

Is this the main purpose?

What is then Enterprise Java Beans? Same purpose?

David Van de Voorde

For EJBs (Enterprise Java Beans), the purpose is also "to build reusable
components", and hence the same terminlogy "Beans" is used. (A bean, which
you just drop somewhere and then use it).

However, other than that, they are totally different things. EJBs are used
to write server-side software (more precisely, the back-end), and to that
extent there is a whole framework for threading, security and all that
around it. (Free PDF book on EJBs:
http://www.theserverside.com/books/wiley/masteringEJB/)

David.

news:43a2871e$0$1866$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...