Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Is it possible to write Doom 3 in Java ???

Is it possible to write Doom 3 in Java ???

Gerard Mindstep

Is Java good enough for brutal first person shooters or do you
recommend Assembler language for that purpose ???

megagurka

Gerard Mindstep wrote:
> Is Java good enough for brutal first person shooters or do you
> recommend Assembler language for that purpose ???

I think you need assembler for "brutal first person shooters", Java is
only works for "first person shooters".

/JN

HalcyonWild

Gerard Mindstep wrote:

> Is Java good enough for brutal first person shooters or do you
> recommend Assembler language for that purpose ???

Not yet. Go for DirectX api or OpenGL using C.

derek@gkdkwe.com

>> Is Java good enough for brutal first person shooters or do you
>> recommend Assembler language for that purpose ???

Check out 'Java Is Doomed', a 3D engine
written in java using jogl for OpenGL bindings.

http://javaisdoomed.sourceforge.net/

Thomas Weidenfeller

Gerard Mindstep wrote:
> Is Java good enough for brutal first person shooters or do you
> recommend Assembler language for that purpose ???

The Quake 2 engine has recently been ported to Java
(http://www.bytonic.de/html/jake2.html). Other 3D shooters for Java
exist, too (Google is your friend).

The question is what do you want to do? Do you want to write a game
engine in Java? This is apparently possible, but it is a task for an
experienced developer. Or do you want to develop a complete game? Then
using an existing engine instead of building your own from scratch might
be a very good idea. That way you could concentrate on building your levels.

/Thomas
--
The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:

Andrea Desole

Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:

> The question is what do you want to do? Do you want to write a game
> engine in Java? This is apparently possible, but it is a task for an
> experienced developer. Or do you want to develop a complete game? Then
> using an existing engine instead of building your own from scratch might
> be a very good idea. That way you could concentrate on building your
> levels.

What he wants is to be a troll, and fill is.vedur with postings.

Thomas Weidenfeller

Andrea Desole wrote:
> What he wants is to be a troll, and fill is.vedur with postings.

Well, you might have recognized that I had removed is.vedur already from
my first reply (unlike the other responders). So please direct your
anger at someone else.

/Thomas
--
The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:

Andrea Desole

Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:

> Well, you might have recognized that I had removed is.vedur already from
> my first reply (unlike the other responders). So please direct your
> anger at someone else.

no anger at all. Why should I be angry? And I did see you removed
is.vedur, and I thought it might have been uninentional, otherwise you
wouldn't have answered, or you would have answered differently.
I also saw some other people answering. I just wanted to point out that
the guy is a troll

HEXUS.beans :: ATI boosts Doom 3 AA performance Silverstrand Front Page News 0 10-14-2005 01:02 AM
OT: For Doom Briscobar MCSE 3 06-18-2005 03:33 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: INVADER ZIM: DOOM DOOM DOOM (VOLUME 1) and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 05-07-2005 08:11 AM
OT: Ping JaR/Ken/Doom =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?= MCSE 4 01-10-2005 02:44 PM
Classic Doom mod for Doom 3 Nik Coughlin NZ Computing 0 08-21-2004 07:17 AM

Advertisments