Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java...it's so Nineties!

Java...it's so Nineties!

thad01@tux.glaci.remove-this.com

In comp.os.linux.advocacy The Ghost In The Machine <(E-Mail Removed)00suus7038.net> wrote:

> That means that the job breakdown is 54.5% Java, 45.5% .NET.
> Remember, however, that .NET isn't nearly as old as Java; it
> might be 3-4 years old at the very most.

I'm also not sure how useful a comparison it is, as .Net
encompasses multiple languages and tools, while Java is
arguably a single language. Nevertheless, it there is
certainly plenty of work in both camps, and either or both
is a good thing to have in your bag of tricks.

> Therefore it's catching up rather fast. Java is The Establishment,
> .NET the underdog (despite .NET being developed by a certain
> monopoly or near-monopoly). And then there's LAMP and small
> custom C/C++ solutions like dhttp.

The multi-language nature of .Net and Microsoft's desktop share
will likely give it the edge in raw deployment numbers, but I
expect Java will hold the lead in the big SOA / middle tier
projects for quite some time. MS will lead on the front end
and Java on the back end. You will probably find plenty of
environments that will contain an mix of both for the
foreseeable future.

Cheers,

Thad

John A. Bailo

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-this.com wrote:

> The multi-language nature of .Net and Microsoft's desktop share
> will likely give it the edge in raw deployment numbers, but I
> expect Java will hold the lead in the big SOA / middle tier
> projects for quite some time. MS will lead on the front end
> and Java on the back end. You will probably find plenty of
> environments that will contain an mix of both for the
> foreseeable future.

Very insightful interpretation...one that I will accept.

chrisv

baalbek wrote:

>John A. Bailo wrote:
>< snip load of tripe >

Don't feed the Bailo troll.

The Ghost In The Machine

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, John A. Bailo
<(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote
on Thu, 15 Dec 2005 10:55:20 -0800
<(E-Mail Removed)>:
> (E-Mail Removed)-this.com wrote:
>
>> The multi-language nature of .Net and Microsoft's desktop share
>> will likely give it the edge in raw deployment numbers, but I
>> expect Java will hold the lead in the big SOA / middle tier
>> projects for quite some time. MS will lead on the front end
>> and Java on the back end. You will probably find plenty of
>> environments that will contain an mix of both for the
>> foreseeable future.

> Very insightful interpretation...one that I will accept.

Ditto here. This is why SOAP and other such efforts
will be useful, since both Java and .NET support it.

#191, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
It's still legal to go .sigless.

Cos

Well, in case of Java - you don't need to pay a dime even for
development environment:
- there's NetBeans
- there's Java Stidio Enterprise
- there's Java Creator for Web apps development
These are available from Sun with no charge. I believe others do
similar stuff.

So, my point is that Java development is getting bigger, especially
with the open source movement, accepted by big folks developing Java to
gain some market share

Cos