Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Scaling up an application

Scaling up an application

suken

Hi people,
I have two EJB applications sharing the same database with
about 30 concurrent users at a time, Thanks to some bad coding done in
the past, the clients always come up with an out of memory exception. I
need to know just that which is the best way to scale the application
to give me a more fruitful result.

Adding a linked server,
Adding another application server.
Code review guys, is out of question for now.

Feel free to contribute any other ideas from the plethora of your
experience.

Viator

What is the guarantee that the additional memory you get by adding
anything, will be enough? If there is a permanent leakage in the system
nothing can satisfy its memory needs.

Amit

davidjdoherty@gmail.com

Yeah, if the server fails after just 30 visitors, then another server
probably won't be much better. Why is a code review out the question?
Why not redirect the money you would spend on hardware, configuration
to getting some people to fix/optimise the existing system?

Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-12-07, suken penned:
> Hi people, I have two EJB applications sharing the same database
> with about 30 concurrent users at a time, Thanks to some bad coding
> done in the past, the clients always come up with an out of memory
> exception. I need to know just that which is the best way to scale
> the application to give me a more fruitful result.
>
> Adding a linked server, Adding another application server. Code
> review guys, is out of question for now.

Then I think you're screwed. 30 concurrent users is *nothing*.
Something's terribly wrong with the design or the implementation.

--
monique

Ask smart questions, get good answers:

Dag Sunde

"suken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi people,
> I have two EJB applications sharing the same database with
> about 30 concurrent users at a time, Thanks to some bad coding done in
> the past, the clients always come up with an out of memory exception. I
> need to know just that which is the best way to scale the application
> to give me a more fruitful result.
>
> Adding a linked server,
> Adding another application server.
> Code review guys, is out of question for now.

Then fixing the problem is probably out of the question...

You can't fix a memory-leak by throwing harware at it.
You can postphone the problem, but if it occur with only
30 users it will only help for a couple of hours before
you have it again.

Properly written systems can serve 10's of thousands of
users without problems.

My bet is that fixing the root of your problens (ie.
the errors in the source code) is the only solution
to your problem. (And it will be *way* cheaper in the
long run)...

If you don't have the source, it may be better to
rewrite it from scratch (depending on size and importance).

--
Dag.

Roedy Green

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 20:00:13 GMT, "Dag Sunde" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,

>My bet is that fixing the root of your problens (ie.
>the errors in the source code) is the only solution
>to your problem. (And it will be *way* cheaper in the
>long run)...

What you might consider is hiring someone to solve your problem on a
contingency basis. If he is able to fix your code to support N users
for M hours without mishap he gets $X dollars. If he does not, he
gets only a token $Y.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.