Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > What do we call things like Class, Interface, Enumerations etc

What do we call things like Class, Interface, Enumerations etc

Chanchal

hi all,

just wanted a simple question(sorry if it sounds stupid).but does any
one know what things like Classes, Interface,Enumerations etc can be
collectively called.I mean they are the fundamental building blocks of
any Java program. But do we have a techinical name which we can call
them all??

Chanchal

Benji

Chanchal, while chewing on bamboo shoots, wrote:
> hi all,

> just wanted a simple question(sorry if it sounds stupid).but does any
> one know what things like Classes, Interface,Enumerations etc can be
> collectively called.I mean they are the fundamental building blocks of
> any Java program. But do we have a techinical name which we can call
> them all??

They are all data types.

--
Of making better designs there is no end,
and much refactoring wearies the body.

Mike Schilling

"Benji" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dmgot2$228$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chanchal, while chewing on bamboo shoots, wrote:
>> hi all,

>> just wanted a simple question(sorry if it sounds stupid).but does any
>> one know what things like Classes, Interface,Enumerations etc can be
>> collectively called.I mean they are the fundamental building blocks of
>> any Java program. But do we have a techinical name which we can call
>> them all??

> They are all data types.

As are int, float, etc. If you want to distinguish between the two,
Classes, Interfaces, etc. are reference types as opposed to scalar (or
primitive) types.

Roedy Green

On 28 Nov 2005 21:22:20 -0800, "Chanchal" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>Classes, Interface,Enumerations

They are blocks, but block includes try blocks etc as well.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Thomas Hawtin

Mike Schilling wrote:

> As are int, float, etc. If you want to distinguish between the two,
> Classes, Interfaces, etc. are reference types as opposed to scalar (or
> primitive) types.

Reference types includes array types. To exclude arrays the grammar uses
ClassOrInterfaceType (classes include enums). I don't know where you got
the 'scalar' term. Probably Perl. Isn't java.lang.Integer a scalar?

Tom Hawtin
--
Unemployed English Java programmer
http://jroller.com/page/tackline/