Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Difference between Apache Tomcat and Jakrata Tomcat

Difference between Apache Tomcat and Jakrata Tomcat

twins

Hi,

Please tell me the difference between http://jakarta.apache.org/ and
http://tomcat.apache.org/
Both are called tomcat and they both are used to run JSP and servlets.

Do let me know
1) what I have to get installed to run JSP and servlets on windows
2) explain why there are two variations.
3) which one is more popular / secure / efficient

Thanks

zero

"twins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1132940569.489319.265540
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Hi,
>
> Please tell me the difference between http://jakarta.apache.org/ and
> http://tomcat.apache.org/
> Both are called tomcat and they both are used to run JSP and servlets.
>
> Do let me know
> 1) what I have to get installed to run JSP and servlets on windows
> 2) explain why there are two variations.
> 3) which one is more popular / secure / efficient
>
> Thanks

They're the same. In the http://jakarta.apache.org site, click on the
"tomcat" link on the menu. You'll end up at http//tomcat.apache.org

Basically, apache is a group of software projects. One of these projects
is jakarta. Jakarta, in turn, is also a group of projects, one of which is
tomcat. From the site: "Jakarta is organized into subprojects"

So, to answer your questions:

1) apache tomcat, part of the jakarta project
2) there aren't
3) since there is only version, both are equally good