Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Windows multiple instances and bringing the window to the front

Windows multiple instances and bringing the window to the front

Paul J. Lucas

OK, I have my own native win32 Java launcher and it works great.
It prevents multiple instances from being launched. If the user
double-clicks on the .exe and it detects that it's a secondary
instance, it just quits.

What I would like to do, however, is send a message to the
first instance to tell it to bring its window to the front.
The problem is that the windows it creates are created on the
Java side, not the native Windows side.

So, from the native side when my launcher receives a message,
can it get a native HWND handle to the heavy-weight window
backing the front-most Java window and bring it to the front?
If so, how?

- Paul