Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Making Waves

Reply
Thread Tools

Making Waves

 
 
timrobinson@paradise.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2005
Hi!

Can anyone point me to some free java sourcecode
that writes a stereo sound file that I can play
on the Windows Media Player?

All I want is something like:

.... open file ...
.... write header ...
.... for t = 0 to n ...
.... write left chanel amplitude ...
.... write right chanel amplitude ...
.... next t ...
.... close file ...

I want to experiment with waveforms,
envelopes, modulation etc,
play sounds and write them to a music CD.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Roedy Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2005
On 19 Nov 2005 04:58:43 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote,
quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

>Can anyone point me to some free java sourcecode
>that writes a stereo sound file that I can play
>on the Windows Media Player?


I show you how to synthetically compose an AU file at
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sound.html
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
http://mindprod.com Java custom programming, consulting and coaching.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rhino
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2005

"Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 19 Nov 2005 04:58:43 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote,
> quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
>
>>Can anyone point me to some free java sourcecode
>>that writes a stereo sound file that I can play
>>on the Windows Media Player?

>
> I show you how to synthetically compose an AU file at
> http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sound.html


The three boxes in the middle of that page stay grey for me, even if I wait
several minutes. I have the Java 1.5 plugin and nothing is displayed in the
Java Console. Is the problem at my end or yours?

Rhino


 
Reply With Quote
 
Thomas Fritsch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-20-2005
"Rhino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I show you how to synthetically compose an AU file at
>> http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sound.html

>
> The three boxes in the middle of that page stay grey for me, even if I
> wait several minutes. I have the Java 1.5 plugin and nothing is displayed
> in the Java Console. Is the problem at my end or yours?


I suppose the 3 boxes are the 3 <applet>s of the HTML file.

I have the Java 1.5 plugin too (1.5.0_04 on WinXP). For me it works, the
three applets show some Java source code. The Java console displays:
fetching: http://mindprod.com/jgloss/snippets/sound.Tone.java.ser
fetching: http://mindprod.com/jgloss/snippets/sound.Play.java.ser
fetching: http://mindprod.com/jgloss/snippets/...sound.java.ser

If you use Windows, I suspect a problem with the network settings of your
Java plugin. (The plugin has settings separate from those of the browser).
To check this, open the "Java Control Panel":
Start -> Control Panel -> Java
Look for "Network settings" there.

--
"TFritsch$t-online:de".replace(':','.').replace('$','@')


 
Reply With Quote
 
Roedy Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-20-2005
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 18:48:37 -0500, "Rhino"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly
quoted someone who said :

>The three boxes in the middle of that page stay grey for me, even if I wait
>several minutes. I have the Java 1.5 plugin and nothing is displayed in the
>Java Console. Is the problem at my end or yours?


do any applets work for you anywhere? Make sure you have <APPLET tags
turned on in the Java console in the control panel.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jre.html#TEST
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
http://mindprod.com Java custom programming, consulting and coaching.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rhino
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-20-2005

"Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 18:48:37 -0500, "Rhino"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly
> quoted someone who said :
>
>>The three boxes in the middle of that page stay grey for me, even if I
>>wait
>>several minutes. I have the Java 1.5 plugin and nothing is displayed in
>>the
>>Java Console. Is the problem at my end or yours?

>
> do any applets work for you anywhere?


Yes, I just looked at several at http://java.sun.com/applets/ and they
worked fine.

> Make sure you have <APPLET tags
> turned on in the Java console in the control panel.
>

I have <APPLET> tags enabled - that box was already "on" when I checked the
settings in the java console.

The applets on your page still don't display. When I move the mouse over the
grey applet rectangles, there is a message that says
"com.mindprod.jdisplay.JDisplay not found" (or words to that effect, the
message appears only VERY briefly in the status line). That sounds like a
problem at your end although Thomas' success with seeing the page makes that
a doubtful assumption....

> see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jre.html#TEST


When I went to this page, it told me that "Your browser is not configured
properly for Java Web Start *.jnlp and application/x-java-jnlf-file MIME
types." That can't be the cause of the problem, right? Your applets are not
using Web Start are they? I installed Web Start at one point and ran a few
demos with it but only ever use it within the Java Tutorial (where it works
fine).

Could this be a version issue with the JRE? I am running 1.5.0, not 1.5.0_x.

Rhino


 
Reply With Quote
 
Roedy Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2005
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 15:01:33 -0500, "Rhino"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly
quoted someone who said :

>Could this be a version issue with the JRE? I am running 1.5.0, not 1.5.0_x.


This is a puzzle. It works fine for me from 1.5.0_04 and 1.5.0_05 in
Win98 and Win2K.

There are no compatibility problems upgrading to 1.5.0_05, only bug
fixes.

Give it some time. It has to load the JVM the first Applet it
encounters. Further, the site is pretty slow.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
http://mindprod.com Java custom programming, consulting and coaching.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2005
Roedy Green wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 15:01:33 -0500, "Rhino"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly
> quoted someone who said :
>
>>Could this be a version issue with the JRE? I am running 1.5.0, not 1.5.0_x.

>
> This is a puzzle. It works fine for me from 1.5.0_04 and 1.5.0_05 in
> Win98 and Win2K.


Same here (works), for 1.5.0_04 in WinXP using Moz. 1.7.2.

> There are no compatibility problems upgrading to 1.5.0_05, only bug
> fixes.


I think Rhino should try one of the 1.5.0_x variants.

--
Andrew Thompson
physci, javasaver, 1point1c, lensescapes - athompson.info/andrew
Currently accepting short and long term contracts - on Earth.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roedy Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2005
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 15:01:33 -0500, "Rhino"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly
quoted someone who said :

>When I went to this page, it told me that "Your browser is not configured
>properly for Java Web Start *.jnlp and application/x-java-jnlf-file MIME
>types." That can't be the cause of the problem, right?


That would get you in trouble with SetClock, and the Replicator, but
not JDisplay which is used throughout the site to display long program
listings.

See if you get get the console up there before you load the page to
see if anything at all appears on it.

I am sending you mime type "application/java-archive" for the jar. Do
you have that configured to do something odd?

What browser are you using? One of the tested ones? at
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/browser.html
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
http://mindprod.com Java custom programming, consulting and coaching.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roedy Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2005
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 15:01:33 -0500, "Rhino"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly
quoted someone who said :

>
>Yes, I just looked at several at http://java.sun.com/applets/ and they
>worked fine.


I looked at those applets. The seem very similar to mine, with the
except I use jars and they use raw class files.

I have an idea. Can you see the applet at?
http://mindprod.com/applets/wassup.html

If so, the problem is possibly because JDisplay downloads *.ser files
with mime type "application/x-java-serialized-object".

Your firewall may be blocking them.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
http://mindprod.com Java custom programming, consulting and coaching.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making Waves JonC Computer Support 5 02-29-2008 10:12 AM
mixing sampled sine waves viswanath VHDL 1 05-12-2004 06:02 AM
Sound Waves Dodgy Dave Computer Support 14 10-27-2003 09:36 PM
Waves/pointer phrogee Computer Support 1 10-03-2003 02:07 PM
Whats the cause of the waves on my TFT monitor? Chris Computer Support 2 09-21-2003 07:08 PM



Advertisments