Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > implementing SSl in jsp

implementing SSl in jsp

ami

Hello

I have created 3 tier online book store. Here I am using jsp ,Tomcat as
webserver and My_SQL as backend. Now I want to implement a secure JDBC
"tunnel" between server-side application (or the shopping cart
application) and the back-end database server. JDBC queries and their
respective results exchanged between the application and the DBMS
should be protected from potential intercepters. Can anyone suggest
how to accomplish this?

Please help.

Roedy Green

On 10 Nov 2005 12:08:06 -0800, "ami" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,

>Can anyone suggest
>how to accomplish this?

Put the servers on the same LAN behind a firewall.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Abhijat Vatsyayan

Why "implementing SSL in JSP" ? Looks like I am missing something.

Assuming that you want JDBC queries from tomcat to the DB server to go
over a secure channel -

If your JDBC (driver) talks to the server using a well know and fixed
set of TCP/IP ports and it does not support SSL, you can use ssh to
setup port forwarding. You can also try to setup VPN tunnels between the
two machines. VPN tunnel might work for protocols others than TCP/IP.

Abhijat

ami wrote:

>Hello
>
>I have created 3 tier online book store. Here I am using jsp ,Tomcat as
>webserver and My_SQL as backend. Now I want to implement a secure JDBC
>"tunnel" between server-side application (or the shopping cart
>application) and the back-end database server. JDBC queries and their
>respective results exchanged between the application and the DBMS
>should be protected from potential intercepters. Can anyone suggest
>how to accomplish this?
>
>Please help.

Thomas Hawtin

ami wrote:

> I have created 3 tier online book store. Here I am using jsp ,Tomcat as
> webserver and My_SQL as backend. Now I want to implement a secure JDBC
> "tunnel" between server-side application (or the shopping cart
> application) and the back-end database server. JDBC queries and their
> respective results exchanged between the application and the DBMS
> should be protected from potential intercepters. Can anyone suggest
> how to accomplish this?

My first google suggests inserting useSSL=true into the connect URL.

Another way of doing it is to use port forward with ssh. I'm writing
this in Thunderbird over ssh port forwarding, and it works fine.

Tom Hawtin
--
Unemployed English Java programmer
http://jroller.com/page/tackline/

shamikm78 shamikm78 is offline
Junior Member

Hi,
have a look at this article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forum...sl-in-jsp.html. The author has implemented the tunnel which you can adopt for your tunnel setup between server side and the database. This is a well known way of handling JDBC DML query in case you do not have a driver which itself supports SSL. For example, PostgreSQL does support SSL, if you configure the driver properly. Its easy to configure also similarly Oracle also does support it. I am not sure about MySQL but I feel the current JDBC drivers of MySQL might support it as well. In that case you do not have to implement the tunnel yourself using JSSE.