Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Diffrence between application server and web server

Diffrence between application server and web server

ITpro

hi,
can someone tell me what are the few differences between
application server and web server,please

corejavagroups

Hi!
Web server is a program which is the implementation of the http
protocol.
Apart from this,from java point of view we can call a server as a web
server when it has the ability to run Servlets,Jsp and Struts kind of
Technology.
But apart from this An application server has got the ability to run
Server side programs like
Servlets,Jsps,Struts and also Business Components like EJB .
and more importantly an application server have features like
Security,transactions......
which can't be dealed by a web server.
Examples of web servers:Tomcat,IIS ,Apache,...
App servers: Weblogic ,web Sphere,J Boss,.....
So,Finally...an Application server is also a web server and with number
facilities which can't be proivided as part of web servers...

FROM:SivaSankar.B
Mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Ok Bye

David N. Welton

corejavagroups wrote:

> But apart from this An application server has got the ability to run
> Server side programs like
> Servlets,Jsps,Struts and also Business Components like EJB .

What's a "business component". If I work for a business, am I a
component of that business? What's the best way to integrate myself
into an application server? Would I have to subclass some of my objects?

All in good fun,
--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/