Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java (swing heavy) performance with XP SP2

Java (swing heavy) performance with XP SP2

jaj_developer@yahoo.co.uk

All,

The application I am currently working on has a major performance issue
when we run the system (via webstart) on Windows XP with SP2. (i.e. 50%
extra load).

I have checked around and MS removed the MS java from the system (via
SP2) and I have tried the fix in:

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp...sageID=2860292

However this seems to have limtied results (i.e. the performance is not
like it was without SP2).

Does anyone have any ideas of what the issue is (e.g. what Microsoft
didn't to knacker the Sun JVM) and how we can improve the performance?

Thanks

Jaj

Andrew Thompson

> The application I am currently working on has a major performance issue
> when we run the system (via webstart) on Windows XP with SP2. (i.e. 50%
> extra load).

Is that what your benchmarks are supporting?
Or is it a 'rough guess' based on how a PC that used to run
the application 'fine', and is now 'bogged down'?

> I have checked around and MS removed the MS java from the system

I had not heard that MS was again removing the MSVM. The
last time they tried that with the MSJVM removal tool,
they 'managed' to ruin IE's ability to understand the
applet element, and made it ineffective for any Java.
I created a tool of my own to remove the MSVM*, but thought
it would become a minor thing when MS stopped distributing
the tool soon after.

* <http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp>

>..(via
> SP2) and I have tried the fix in:
>
> http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp...sageID=2860292
>
> However this seems to have limtied results (i.e. the performance is not
> like it was without SP2).

Benchmarks?

> Does anyone have any ideas of what the issue is (e.g. what Microsoft
> didn't to knacker the Sun JVM) and how we can improve the performance?

Dump IE. ..or are you referring to users external to
your organisation?

Is this an applet or application? What Java version
do you specify in the JNLP? What is the minimum Java
required to run your application?

Roedy Green

On 20 Oct 2005 05:30:19 -0700, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>Does anyone have any ideas of what the issue is (e.g. what Microsoft
>didn't to knacker the Sun JVM) and how we can improve the performance?

First let's make sure the problem is truly IE. Try starting the app
outside IE with javaws http://.....jnlp

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Pradyut

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> All,
>
> The application I am currently working on has a major performance issue
> when we run the system (via webstart) on Windows XP with SP2. (i.e. 50%
> extra load).

It's normal
swing runs very slow in windows
the RAM consuption also increases and during load also the system is
quite slow

Pradyut
http://pradyut.tk
http://spaces.msn.com/members/oop-edge/