Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > 500W Ultra X-Connect

500W Ultra X-Connect

Technoholic Technoholic is offline
Senior Member

What is your opinion on this psu?
I had 400W, weak, I believe it is. But 500W is more stronger, it trips at 640W. But heard not the most reliable around.
Just seeking your opinions.

stlava stlava is offline
Senior Member
stlava's Avatar

The amount of whats it delivers isn't important... I mean it it is but you want one that would deliver a good steady supply of power to all the connected things. Like saying you have a 500Watt power supply but it only has one connection... you want one that can support lots of devices. The good ones like that are usually heavier. So just look around read lots of reviews on several good ones.

Bio-Hazard Bio-Hazard is offline
Senior Member
Location: Back Woods of MO

I've got one of the early ones in my Abit AV8 system and it does just fine. I've also heard that the later ones are not all that great, also heard that they are made by a different company and that is more than likely the reason there are some problems with them. But like I said, I like the one I have.

Bite-Me-2 Bite-Me-2 is offline
Junior Member

I'm more into Antec PSU, you can't normally go wrong with them.

Technoholic Technoholic is offline
Senior Member

Bio, I like the one I have too.
I know antec PSU is good. Just when I actually have moohlas I'll go for the good/best products.

PUTALE PUTALE is offline
Senior Member

I like antec, enermax psu. I don't konw how much you plan to spend on the psu. To tell you the truth, I rather have a little bit less wattage of antec psu than another one that claim to have higher wattage.

Bio-Hazard Bio-Hazard is offline
Senior Member
Location: Back Woods of MO

I did have a older Antec 480 when I was putting my AV8 A64 system together, but I had to change it due to a timing problem with the Antec PSU and the Abit MoBo. Antec said that they would RMA the PSU if I wanted, but I had voided all hopes of that several times over. The timing issue was a well known fact with the old Antecs and some newer Abit boards and is documented on the Abit forum boards. That's why I've got the X-Connect now.
I've got a Thermaltake on my LanParty system and it's not as stable as the X-Connect PSU is, under full load, the Thermaltake drops to 11.7v which is still ok, but the X-Connect never has gone below 119, which is super. Those voltages are checked with a Fluke Multimeter also.

zachig zachig is offline
Senior Member

I think this is a pretty good PSU. I've read some good review about it.
I currently own a Thermaltake Purepower 480W (True Power) and I must say I'm pretty satisfied with it, although I would prefer to buy an OCZ Modstream or Powerstream PSU (if I had the money).
Anyway, the X-Connect PSU is a pretty decent PSU although there are much better PSUs around (but most of them cost much more).

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

There are a few good Power supplies around, but i run on a cheapo 450 watt, and it does do bad for overclocking (not really, but it could be better). So when u are looking for a PSU for Style... maybe this.. but if u haven't got the money look for a cheap PSU and mod it
My Modding part 2 is comeing soonz

werty316 werty316 is offline
Member

I have one that doesn't come with SATA cables so it is an older one and its my second quality PSU I ever owned. I always used POS PSU and have learned since then. I have had my X-Connect for about 1 & 1/2 years and have had no problems. Previous was a 350W Antec TrueBlue which was good but didn't provide enough power. The 12V line was always a little low. I recommend one of those Thermaltake modular or OCZ modular PSUs. There are great. I would have one of those if I didn't have my X-Connect.