Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Can anyone recommend some good books to learn Java programming with?

Can anyone recommend some good books to learn Java programming with?

Zer0 Voltage

Hello,

I'd like to learn Java programming so I can develop cross-platform
applications (for Windows and Linux at least) and was wondering if
anyone here would be kind enough to offer some opinions on any good
"self-learning" books for this.

Though I've done IT support for many years, I have no programming
experience. So obviously I need something that starts at the most
novice level.

Ideally something that would cover novice through advanced would be
nice, but I'm open to multiple books at different levels too.

One program I'd like to develop would use an icon in the Windows system
tray - so something which also covers Windows OS specifics like that
would be great.

Thanks very much for any advice!

- 0V

Roedy Green

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

black

try Core Java as many ppl may commended it to u.

TechBookReport

Zer0 Voltage wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to learn Java programming so I can develop cross-platform
> applications (for Windows and Linux at least) and was wondering if
> anyone here would be kind enough to offer some opinions on any good
> "self-learning" books for this.
>
> Though I've done IT support for many years, I have no programming
> experience. So obviously I need something that starts at the most
> novice level.
>
> Ideally something that would cover novice through advanced would be
> nice, but I'm open to multiple books at different levels too.
>
> One program I'd like to develop would use an icon in the Windows system
> tray - so something which also covers Windows OS specifics like that
> would be great.
>
> Thanks very much for any advice!
>
> - 0V

TechBookReport has many reviews of Java titles, as well as a list of
recommendations for readers with different skill sets. Take a look at
http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html for the Java book reviews
and recommendations.

Zer0 Voltage

Thanks very much to those who responded! I appreciate the suggestions
and reference sites.

- 0V

kinshuk4 kinshuk4 is offline
Junior Member

You can check out this link for some good books on java -Some good books on java

Last edited by kinshuk4; 06-27-2011 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: linked not set properly