Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Byters? Since the distinction between interpreters and compilers seems to be hazy sometimes, has anybody proposed a third distinction?

Byters? Since the distinction between interpreters and compilers seems to be hazy sometimes, has anybody proposed a third distinction?

Casey Hawthorne

Since the distinction between interpreters and compilers seems to be
hazy sometimes, has anybody proposed a third distinction?

Byters - for those programming languages that compile to byte code?
or
Pyters - since p-code (for Pascal) was the first language used in a
virtual machine?

Then there are Byter distinctions:
- those languages keeping the interpreter around - Python
- those languages that throw away the compiler - Java
--
Regards,
Casey

Oliver Wong

"Casey Hawthorne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since the distinction between interpreters and compilers seems to be
> hazy sometimes, has anybody proposed a third distinction?
>
> Byters - for those programming languages that compile to byte code?
> or
> Pyters - since p-code (for Pascal) was the first language used in a
> virtual machine?
>
> Then there are Byter distinctions:
> - those languages keeping the interpreter around - Python
> - those languages that throw away the compiler - Java

The problem is that interpreted/compiled is a property of the run time
environment, not of the programming language itself. You could write a C++
interpreter, and you could write a Java compiler.

- Oliver

Roedy Green

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:37:07 GMT, Casey Hawthorne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>- those languages that throw away the compiler - Java

Java does all kinds of things with the byte code, interpret, AOT. JIT,
hotspot..
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Paul Cager

Casey Hawthorne wrote:
> Since the distinction between interpreters and compilers seems to be
> hazy sometimes, has anybody proposed a third distinction?

I think there is already a name for this "third way" - an "interpretive
compiler". Have a look at http://www.comsci.us/compiler/glossary/

Paul

Casey Hawthorne

"Paul Cager" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Casey Hawthorne wrote:
>> Since the distinction between interpreters and compilers seems to be
>> hazy sometimes, has anybody proposed a third distinction?
>>

>I think there is already a name for this "third way" - an "interpretive
>compiler". Have a look at http://www.comsci.us/compiler/glossary/
>
>Paul

You have made my minute!

Okay!