Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > getting error on applet again

getting error on applet again

Darren

i have a signed pplet discussed previously for now it appears to have
stopped working properly. The codee hasn't changed but my web page its on
and my dns settings have mind you i can still see the host its trying to
connect from a wb page ping etc. Now when i run it locally i get

(java.net.SocketPermission members.g7wap.me.uk resolve)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission (Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unk nown Source)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkConnect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(Unknown Source)
at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(Unknown Source)
at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(Unknown Source)
at java.net.InetAddress.getByName(Unknown Source)
at java.net.InetSocketAddress.<init>(Unknown Source)
at uk.me.g7wap.helloserver.Helloserver.hello(Helloser ver.java:66)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknow n Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Un known Source)
at sun.plugin.javascript.invoke.JSInvoke.invoke(Unkno wn Source)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknow n Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Un known Source)
at sun.plugin.javascript.JSClassLoader.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.com.MethodDispatcher.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.com.DispatchImpl.invokeImpl(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.com.DispatchImpl$1.run(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.com.DispatchImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

I assumed that this was because i was running it locally. so i copied it and
the web page to my web site and i tried from there. I get

load: class uk.me.g7wap.helloserver.Helloserver.class not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: uk.me.g7wap.helloserver.Helloserver.class
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed.
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
... 10 more
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: uk.me.g7wap.helloserver.Helloserver.class
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed.
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
... 10 more

The contents of the jar is
C:\applets>c:\j2sdk1.4.2_06\bin\jarsigner -verify -verbose -certs
uk\me\g7wap\he
lloserver\Helloserver.jar

165 Fri Sep 30 11:49:50 BST 2005 META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
218 Fri Sep 30 11:49:50 BST 2005 META-INF/DAZKEY.SF
932 Fri Sep 30 11:49:50 BST 2005 META-INF/DAZKEY.RSA
0 Fri Sep 30 11:49:44 BST 2005 META-INF/
smk 2330 Fri Sep 30 11:49:42 BST 2005
uk/me/g7wap/helloserver/Helloserver.cl
ass

X.509, CN=darren simpson, OU=Unknown, O=g7wap, L=lincoln, ST=lincs,
C=uk (
dazkey)

s = signature was verified
m = entry is listed in manifest
k = at least one certificate was found in keystore
i = at least one certificate was found in identity scope

The web page containns
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>

<script language='javascript'
src='http://127.0.0.1:1026/js.cgi?pca&r=17035'></script>

</head>

<applet code="uk.me.g7wap.helloserver.Helloserver.class" name="helloserver"
width="1071" height="309" archive="HelloServer.jar" id="helloserver"
style="visibility:visible">
</applet>
<script>
document.write(helloserver.hello());
</script>

the java is below
package uk.me.g7wap.helloserver;
import java.awt.*;
import java.applet.*;
import java.net.*;
import java.io.*;
import java.security.*;
import java.lang.*;

public class Helloserver extends Applet
{
Label stateLabel = new Label();
BorderLayout borderLayout1 = new BorderLayout();

private String remoteServer ;

public Helloserver()
{
init();
}
public void init()
{
try
{

jbInit();
}
catch(Exception e)
{
e.printStackTrace();
}
try
{

hello();
}
catch (Exception e)
{
e.printStackTrace();
}

}

private void jbInit() throws Exception
{
stateLabel.setAlignment(Label.CENTER);
this.setSize(new Dimension(195, 52));
this.setLayout(borderLayout1);
this.add(stateLabel, BorderLayout.CENTER);
stateLabel.setText("Connecting"+remoteServer);

}
public boolean hello() throws Exception
{
boolean retVal=false;
Socket socket=new Socket();

try
{
// O P E N
socket = new Socket();
socket.setSoTimeout(3000);
socket.connect(new InetSocketAddress("members.g7wap.me.uk", 80),3000 );
}
catch(AccessControlException u)
{
stateLabel.setText("Status:"+u.getMessage());
u.printStackTrace();
retVal=false;

}
catch(MalformedURLException u)
{
stateLabel.setText("Status:"+u.getMessage());
u.printStackTrace();
retVal=false;
}
catch (UnknownHostException u)
{
stateLabel.setText("Status:"+u.getMessage());
u.printStackTrace();
retVal=false;
}

catch(SocketTimeoutException u)
{
stateLabel.setText("Status:"+u.getMessage());
retVal=false;
}
catch(IOException u)
{
stateLabel.setText("Status:"+u.getMessage());
u.printStackTrace();
retVal=false;

}
if (socket.isConnected())
{
stateLabel.setText("Status: Connection successful");
retVal=true;
}

// C L O S E
try
{
socket.close();
}

catch(IOException u)
{
}

return retVal;
}

}

now remember this applet is in a signed jar and it worked for some time so
what's going wrong?

Thanks

Darren

Andrew Thompson

Darren wrote:

> i have a signed pplet discussed previously for now it appears to have
> stopped working properly. The codee hasn't changed but my web page its on
> and my dns settings have ..

How? Did the page contain JS earlier?
> <script language='javascript'
> src='http://127.0.0.1:1026/js.cgi?pca&r=17035'></script>
>
> </head>

> <applet code="uk.me.g7wap.helloserver.Helloserver.class" name="helloserver"
> width="1071" height="309" archive="HelloServer.jar" id="helloserver"
> style="visibility:visible">
> </applet>
> <script>
> document.write(helloserver.hello());
> </script>

Some browsers (seem to) become more mindful of security when
it is written dynamically by JS, or when the JS calls applet
methods.

Where is you URL by the way? And ..
a) have you seen it fail in one or a number of browsers?
b) Which browsers(s) (make and version)?

Darren

"Andrew Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ey9%e.3293$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Darren wrote:
>
> > i have a signed pplet discussed previously for now it appears to have
> > stopped working properly. The codee hasn't changed but my web page its

on
> > and my dns settings have ..

> How? Did the page contain JS earlier?

No
The aim was to eventually prevent it from running automatically and only
when a hethod was called but even without that and it set to visible i have
the same problem.
> > <script language='javascript'
> > src='http://127.0.0.1:1026/js.cgi?pca&r=17035'></script>
> >
> > </head>

> > <applet code="uk.me.g7wap.helloserver.Helloserver.class"

name="helloserver"
> > width="1071" height="309" archive="HelloServer.jar" id="helloserver"
> > style="visibility:visible">
> > </applet>
> > <script>
> > document.write(helloserver.hello());
> > </script>

> Some browsers (seem to) become more mindful of security when
> it is written dynamically by JS, or when the JS calls applet
> methods.

Yeah. I took that out. the problem still occurs. its bezarre because locally
i only get socket problems but i assume that's to do with the dns hhence the
issue is with resolve.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/darrenls59/helloserver.htm

> a) have you seen it fail in one or a number of browsers?

No just IE but i intend to take a look in mozilla later in the day.
> b) Which browsers(s) (make and version)?

IE 6.0.2800

Andrew Thompson

Page - <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/darrenls59/helloserver.htm>

>...and i tried from there. I get
>
> load: class uk.me.g7wap.helloserver.Helloserver.class not found.
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: uk.me.g7wap.helloserver.Helloserver.class

> ..so what's going wrong?

Not sure about the local copy, but as far as the web version goes..
there seems to be a problem loading the jar itself.

Your applet element suggests to me that the jar should be located at..
<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/darrenls59/HelloServer.jar>
...but that returns a '404 - not found' for me.

BTW - you have a very wide applet there, .. 'width="1071"'.
That is 271 pixels wider than my current screen width setting!
What gives, why so wide?

Roedy Green

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:54:19 GMT, "Darren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
or quoted :

>I assumed that this was because i was running it locally. so i copied it and
>the web page to my web site and i tried from there.

It looks like the problem is you are trying to talk to a server other
than the on you were loaded from or are trying to load a file not
"downstream" of your web page (in a directory sub tree of it, siblings
are not allowed). Moving web pages of data files trigger these
problems.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/applet.html

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:09:08 GMT, "Darren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
or quoted :

> <applet code="uk.me.g7wap.helloserver.Helloserver.class"

Put your Applet in a jar. raw Applets are like trying to eat sunny
side eggs with your hands. It can be done, but it is messier.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:09:08 GMT, "Darren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
or quoted :

>> > <applet code="uk.me.g7wap.helloserver.Helloserver.class"

>name="helloserver"
>> > width="1071" height="309" archive="HelloServer.jar" id="helloserver"

Always put your code and archive attributes side by side. They are a
logical pair.
--

Roedy Green wrote:

> Always put your code and archive attributes side by side. They are a
> logical pair.

I am using XSLT to create web pages from XScreenSaver
configuration files. One thing that distresses me is
that due to the way the XSLT/XML is parsed to HTML, the
'archive' attribute appears after the applet width/height
as the last applet attribute.

The HTML spec. suggest I should stop worrying about it,
but it nags at me, and I find it harder to read.

Roedy Green

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:15:46 GMT, Andrew Thompson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>I am using XSLT to create web pages from XScreenSaver
>configuration files. One thing that distresses me is
>that due to the way the XSLT/XML is parsed to HTML, the
>'archive' attribute appears after the applet width/height
>as the last applet attribute.

I would have thought something like that would sort them
alphabetically.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Darren

"Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:09:08 GMT, "Darren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> or quoted :
>
> > <applet code="uk.me.g7wap.helloserver.Helloserver.class"

> Put your Applet in a jar.

It is in a jar and i sighned jar at that

>raw Applets are like trying to eat sunny
> side eggs with your hands. It can be done, but it is messier.

LOL