Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > why program to interface is better design?

why program to interface is better design?

Thomas G. Marshall

Monique Y. Mudama coughed up:
> On 2005-10-04, David Kerber penned:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

>>> It's almost a truism that the first product, not the best product,
>>> is the one that succeeds in the market.

>> And a false one at that. I can't recall a single case where that
>> has happened, though there must be some. IME, it's usually the 2nd
>> or 3rd one to market who makes it big, because they learn from the
>> mistakes of #1, and #1 has let the potential audience know that
>> there's something out there which might be worth buying. Look at
>> IBM with the PC, Henry Ford with automobiles, Apple, etc.

> Well, there's a very recent example for my company where a customer
> chose another vendor for a product. Our people pointed out that the
> competitor's product didn't work as advertised and didn't do what it
> promised to do. Their response? "Yes, but theirs is available now."
> Ours was still in development.
>
> Certainly lack of a product results in lost business opportunities.

Which is why I keep harping on two issues regarding this particular
sub-sub-thread. 1. You need a time frame before you can judge something.
All first-time products have a lock on the industry at one point or another.
2. The need for getting to market quickly is not proven nor disproven by the
likelihood of a first to market product being "the one" that succeeds the
most.

--
Whyowhydidn'tsunmakejavarequireanuppercaseletterto startclassnames....

Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-10-04, Thomas G. Marshall penned:
> Monique Y. Mudama coughed up:
>> On 2005-10-04, David Kerber penned:
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>>> And a false one at that. I can't recall a single case where that
>>> has happened, though there must be some. IME, it's usually the
>>> 2nd or 3rd one to market who makes it big, because they learn from
>>> the mistakes of #1, and #1 has let the potential audience know
>>> that there's something out there which might be worth buying.
>>> Look at IBM with the PC, Henry Ford with automobiles, Apple, etc.

>> Well, there's a very recent example for my company where a customer
>> chose another vendor for a product. Our people pointed out that
>> the competitor's product didn't work as advertised and didn't do
>> what it promised to do. Their response? "Yes, but theirs is
>> available now." Ours was still in development.
>>
>> Certainly lack of a product results in lost business opportunities.

> Which is why I keep harping on two issues regarding this particular
> sub-sub-thread. 1. You need a time frame before you can judge
> something. All first-time products have a lock on the industry at
> one point or another. 2. The need for getting to market quickly is
> not proven nor disproven by the likelihood of a first to market
> product being "the one" that succeeds the most.

What you said.

Now I'm regretting my "truism" statement.

--
monique

Ask smart questions, get good answers:

Mike Schilling

"Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:27:41 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
> <(E-Mail Removed). com> wrote or quoted
> :
>
>>Interestingly, I am the one who is known for "going to the mat" in
>>arguments
>>over seeming minutiae.

> I still sometimes wake up in as sweat thinking about a job I had circa
> 1993 in toxic company. Life is so short. You would not believe how
> fast you get old.
>
> I would suggest to anyone in such a situation, GET OUT. You are
> needlessly torturing yourself.
>
> There was a period in my life I had so little money I went without
> food and heat I lived on pancakes.. In retrospect, that was much
> easier to bear.

I had problems with my neck for about three months once; it got so stiff
that it hurt to turn my head; even driving was painful. I tried sleeping
with no pillow, massage, acupuncture, muscle relaxants, etc. etc. All to no
avail.

The pain went away the day I quit my job.

Stefan Ram

Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed) > writes:
>There was a period in my life I had so little money I went without
>food and heat I lived on pancakes..

I am not a native English speaker, but would consider
"pancakes" to /be/ food. So possibly, one might say "without
other food than pancakes".

Chris Uppal

Stefan Ram wrote:

> Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed) > writes:
> > There was a period in my life I had so little money I went without
> > food and heat I lived on pancakes..

> I am not a native English speaker, but would consider
> "pancakes" to /be/ food. So possibly, one might say "without
> other food than pancakes".

No, no! You have misunderstood Roedy; he meant quite literally that he lived
on pancakes.

As you may know Canada (and the Northern part of the US) produce large numbers
of pancakes every day, and there is inevitably some considerable
overproduction. North American pancakes (which are thicker than the thin
crepe-like pancakes we know in England[*]) make adequate bedding if you lack
anything better, and surplus pancakes are distributed to the needy by several
charities. Whether you are homeless or "merely" unable to afford to furnish a
living place, a good layer of pancakes can make a hard life just a little
better.

-- chris

([*] I can't forbear adding that English pancakes are nevertheless far
tastier.)

Roedy Green

On 10 Oct 2005 11:36:13 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote
or quoted :

> I am not a native English speaker, but would consider
> "pancakes" to /be/ food. So possibly, one might say "without
> other food than pancakes".

That is correct. But I think it would take a non-English speaker to
notice the error.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

On 10 Oct 2005 11:36:13 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote
or quoted :

>>There was a period in my life I had so little money I went without
>>food and heat I lived on pancakes..

> I am not a native English speaker, but would consider
> "pancakes" to /be/ food. So possibly, one might say "without
> other food than pancakes".

Explaining this to HAL, I would say. I had so little money I could
not afford to buy food or heat. So I bought neither. However, I had a
supply of various flours, so I survived by making pancakes from them.
For heat I bundled myself in a sleeping bag.

Such times are ever so much more fun to enjoy in retrospect.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Luc The Perverse

"Roedy Green" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 10 Oct 2005 11:36:13 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote
> or quoted :
>
>>>There was a period in my life I had so little money I went without
>>>food and heat I lived on pancakes..

>> I am not a native English speaker, but would consider
>> "pancakes" to /be/ food. So possibly, one might say "without
>> other food than pancakes".

> Explaining this to HAL, I would say. I had so little money I could
> not afford to buy food or heat. So I bought neither. However, I had a
> supply of various flours, so I survived by making pancakes from them.
> For heat I bundled myself in a sleeping bag.
>
> Such times are ever so much more fun to enjoy in retrospect.

~I~ would not have noticed the error.

But Roedy's way is the most elegant.

--
"It's better to have rocked and lost than never to have rocked at
all." -John Flansburgh

anushree_123 anushree_123 is offline
Junior Member

for collections interface, we use

List<String> s=new ArrayList<String>();

instead of

ArrayList<String> a=new ArrayList<String>();

Why is 1st approach better?

Thanks for your response