Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > distributed computing choices

distributed computing choices

apngss@yahoo.com

When an application needs to get information from another machine over
the network, how many distributed computing choices out there?

Here are the choices I know of, classifying by different programming
languages

HTTP (any??)

RPC (C, C++)
..NET (Microsoft)
COM+ (Microsoft)
RMI (Java)
CORBA (any)
EJB (Java)
SOAP (any ??)

MOM (any ??)

I guess HTTP is just the protocol, it should not belong to the
distributed computing choices? For example, we can deliver
SOAP using HTTP, or using JMS? EJB is delivered over HTTP?

Please comment and advise. thanks!!

Alexei A. Frounze

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> When an application needs to get information from another machine over
> the network, how many distributed computing choices out there?

This is OT for comp.lang.c.
Alex

Mark McIntyre

On 27 Sep 2005 12:43:05 -0700, in comp.lang.c , http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

>When an application needs to get information from another machine over
>the network, how many distributed computing choices out there?

This is offtopic in at least two, possibly three of the groups you
x-posted to. Try comp.programming.
--
Mark McIntyre

Roedy Green

On 27 Sep 2005 12:43:05 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote or quoted :

>When an application needs to get information from another machine over
>the network, how many distributed computing choices out there?

I have a bunch more listed at
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/remotefileaccess.html
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Keith Thompson

Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On 27 Sep 2005 12:43:05 -0700, in comp.lang.c , (E-Mail Removed)
> wrote:
>
>>When an application needs to get information from another machine over
>>the network, how many distributed computing choices out there?

> This is offtopic in at least two, possibly three of the groups you
> x-posted to. Try comp.programming.

It seems perfectly topical in comp.distributed. Followups redirected.

steve

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:43:05 +0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>):

> When an application needs to get information from another machine over
> the network, how many distributed computing choices out there?
>
> Here are the choices I know of, classifying by different programming
> languages
>
> HTTP (any??)
>
> RPC (C, C++)
> .NET (Microsoft)
> COM+ (Microsoft)
> RMI (Java)
> CORBA (any)
> EJB (Java)
> SOAP (any ??)
>
> MOM (any ??)
>
> I guess HTTP is just the protocol, it should not belong to the
> distributed computing choices? For example, we can deliver
> SOAP using HTTP, or using JMS? EJB is delivered over HTTP?
>
> Please comment and advise. thanks!!

check out apples web site, they have a development kit

Scott Ellsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, steve <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:43:05 +0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote
> (in article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>):
>
> > When an application needs to get information from another machine over
> > the network, how many distributed computing choices out there?
> >
> > Here are the choices I know of, classifying by different programming
> > languages
> >
> > HTTP (any??)
> >
> > RPC (C, C++)
> > .NET (Microsoft)
> > COM+ (Microsoft)
> > RMI (Java)
> > CORBA (any)
> > EJB (Java)
> > SOAP (any ??)
> >
> > MOM (any ??)
> >
> > I guess HTTP is just the protocol, it should not belong to the
> > distributed computing choices? For example, we can deliver
> > SOAP using HTTP, or using JMS? EJB is delivered over HTTP?
> >
> > Please comment and advise. thanks!!
> >

> check out apples web site, they have a development kit

Apple's kit goes under the name XGrid. It rides on BEEP and HTTP, IIRC.
There is a Java-based xgrid agent, so it appears that you do not need
native code to run jobs.

See <http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/xgrid.html> and
<http://developer.apple.com/hardware/hpc/xgrid_intro.html> and
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/09/13/xgrid.html>.

It looks pretty keen, and worked well for some test projects I did. It
rides on top of a number of other technologies, so it does not appear
that they are re-inventing the wheel.

Scott

--
Scott Ellsworth
(E-Mail Removed)

Choices, Choices!!!! Leeland Clay MCAD 2 02-13-2006 01:53 PM
distributed computing choices apngss@yahoo.com C Programming 6 10-03-2005 09:25 PM
distributed computing choices apngss@yahoo.com C++ 6 10-03-2005 09:25 PM
Choices, choices, choices. Scott Digital Photography 0 10-04-2004 06:15 PM
Choices, choices stuart.cameron Digital Photography 1 06-28-2004 09:29 AM

Advertisments