Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Open a PDF or Word doc using a Struts Action without losing the page?

Open a PDF or Word doc using a Struts Action without losing the page?

sygsix@gmail.com

Hello everyone.

I have been calling a struts action in a normal HTML form like this:

<form name="SeeDocumentForm" method="post" action='<html:rewrite
href="SeeDocument.do" />' target="_new" method="post" >

To be honest, I had forgotten *why* I used "target='_new'" -- why, that
is, I opened a new explorer window when all I really want to do is
launch either Word or Acrobat to see the file.

Then I remembered -- everything works ok in Firefox but in IE it
launches Word / Acrobat but I lose the page I was viewing. I imagine
that this is because the Action I am using has no "forward". This is by
design; there is no need for a forward because I am simply launching an
external app (Word, Acrobat) and spitting out some data, no reason to
navigate to another page.

But IE doesn't like it. And it doesn't matter if I change the POST to
GET or if I call the struts Action directly in a URL:

.... same deal. It launches the external app but the page goes blank.

Anyway ideas?

Thanks in advance,
syg

Andrew Thompson

> .... same deal. It launches the external app but the page goes blank.
>
> Anyway ideas?

Educate IE users as to the value of the 'back' button?

sygsix@gmail.com

Funny, but not very helpful.

syg