Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > How do they search ?

How do they search ?

Roedy Green

On 28 Sep 2005 02:21:17 -0700, "gk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted
:

>you are mistaken sir. all, i told in my posts was my findings. did not
>i mention my doubts in points ? i saw the link you provided and
>become confused and mentioned doubts in my posts.

You are a newbie. Everyone was one at one time. There is no shame in
that or not understanding the answers given. However, your responses
implied you were sure the people trying to explain things to you did
not know what they were talking about, rather than you did not
understand. That gets people's backs up, especially mine.

In particular I repeatedly asked you to download and use a newsreader.
I pointed you to places you could do that and read about the various
choices. You refused to do that and instead complained my advice
would not work. How could you possibly know that without following
it?

There is some small obligation when you ask advice that you pay
attention to it. Instead, you publicly spat on it.

In face to face communication you would not ask a stranger for a gift
then stomp on it. To do so shows contempt.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

gk

hi i downloaded newsreader tool . its forte agent 3.11

i am about to configure it.

i have some query about how to configure it.

what i should fill up in the configauration :

News Server : // what i should put here ?

should i try ?

a)groups.google.com
b)http://www.groups.com
c)http://www.groups.google.co.in

which one is correct? or what is the url i should type on ?

will you please tell me what i should put in the config field of "News
Server" ?

they are also demanding a user id and password for connecting to "News
server"
what i should put here ?
should i use my gmail user id and password here ?

they have a Mail-Server field too

MAIL SERVER : // what i should put here ?

user id : //what i should put here ?
password: //what i should put here ?

should i use my gmail user id and password here ?

And at last they have asked for an email address .
i guess i should use my gmail id here .

Regards

[...]

Dag Sunde

"gk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> hi i downloaded newsreader tool . its forte agent 3.11
>
> i am about to configure it.
>
> i have some query about how to configure it.

> what i should fill up in the configauration :
>
> News Server : // what i should put here ?
>
> should i try ?
>
> a)groups.google.com
> b)http://www.groups.com
> c)http://www.groups.google.co.in
>
> which one is correct? or what is the url i should type on ?

None of them...

You probably have an internet service provider (ISP) that you pay
to get access to the internet. (Either Dial-up, ADSL, broadband, etc.)
So for the name of the news-server, try "news.yourISPdomain.com"

The same ISP once gave you a username and password to access their services
use those...

<snipped/>

--
Dag.

Roedy Green

On 29 Sep 2005 09:25:31 -0700, "gk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted
:

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/newsserver.html
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

On 29 Sep 2005 09:25:31 -0700, "gk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted
:

>should i try ?
>
>a)groups.google.com
>b)http://www.groups.com
>c)http://www.groups.google.co.in

no those are webservers who happen to post newsgroup content. You
want a newserver than speaks NNTP.

See the new note under http://mindprod.com/jgloss/newsreader.html
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

On 29 Sep 2005 09:25:31 -0700, "gk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted
:

>they are also demanding a user id and password for connecting to "News
>server"
>what i should put here ?

Some newsservers demand you pay to use them. Then you will be assigned
a user id and password. Normally you get a news server bundled with
your monthly ISP. Try leaving them out. If you can't connect, read up
on the ISP site. likely it will be the same userid/password you use
for other isp functions like mail or configuration.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

On 29 Sep 2005 09:25:31 -0700, "gk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted
:

>they have a Mail-Server field too
>
>MAIL SERVER : // what i should put here ?

Look in you email program, the one you use to retrieve your
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed). it will likely be something like mail.qmail.com
If qmail is a web mail system that you access with a browser, you
can't us Agent email. It requires a SMTP/POP3 style email account.

I don't use the email side of Agent at all. I use Eudora for all my
mail, so you can just leave that out.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

On 29 Sep 2005 09:25:31 -0700, "gk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted
:

>user id : //what i should put here ?
>password: //what i should put here ?

same as you would for setting up Eudora or Outlook.
as I said earlier, you can leave that out.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

On 29 Sep 2005 09:25:31 -0700, "gk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted
:

>And at last they have asked for an email address .
>i guess i should use my gmail id here .

Yes. You note I don't use my real address. I use a munged one. The
problem with posting your address is the spam harvester get it and
eventually you get so much spam you have to get a new account.

The catch is, if you don't give your address, people can't email you
without great inconvenience. (which is the intent to discourage spam
harvesters) See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/mung.html
for details on munging techniques.

Hang in there. This seems like a pain in the ass now, but soon you
will get the hang of things and you will have a much easier time
tracking threads.

You have one big advantage I did not have -- we now have a working
configured system for you to model.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.