Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Can anyone recommend a source for information on debug symbols?

Can anyone recommend a source for information on debug symbols?

markscottwright

I'm curious how the jdk embeds debug symbols in .class files. Can
anyone recommed a good resource for that, either on the web or in book
form? Is there a standard API for determining things like "which ctor
is being called on line X, col Y of file Z.java?"

Thomas Hawtin

markscottwright wrote:
> I'm curious how the jdk embeds debug symbols in .class files. Can
> anyone recommed a good resource for that, either on the web or in book

It's all in the JVM spec.

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/vmspe...doc.html#79868

> form? Is there a standard API for determining things like "which ctor
> is being called on line X, col Y of file Z.java?"

Not as far as I know. Editors tend to do that sort of thing without full
compilation. I'm sure it'd be quite easy to do from class files with,
say, ObjectWeb ASM.

Tom Hawtin
--
Unemployed English Java programmer
http://jroller.com/page/tackline/

Roedy Green

On 18 Sep 2005 16:16:22 -0700, "markscottwright"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>I'm curious how the jdk embeds debug symbols in .class files. Can
>anyone recommed a good resource for that, either on the web or in book
>form? Is there a standard API for determining things like "which ctor
>is being called on line X, col Y of file Z.java?"

check out JPDA. It in an interface for people want to write source
code debuggers.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.