Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Word/Excel/PowerPoint Conversion to Images

Word/Excel/PowerPoint Conversion to Images

djgavenda2@yahoo.com

I have been looking for a way to convert Office files (.doc/.xls/.ppt)
to images such as tif or jpegs.

Been looking thru Jakarta POI but it doesn't look to be ready for docs
yet. Also, I am not sure it can convert to tifs.

Does anyone have ideas on how this can be done?

I would like to do it in Java or C. Also, I am working in a Linux
environment.

Thanks,
Dan

Roedy Green

On 5 Sep 2005 18:54:14 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote or quoted :

>I have been looking for a way to convert Office files (.doc/.xls/.ppt)
>to images such as tif or jpegs.
>
>Been looking thru Jakarta POI but it doesn't look to be ready for docs
>yet. Also, I am not sure it can convert to tifs.
>
>Does anyone have ideas on how this can be done?

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/pdf.html

It might be possible to go via PDF. There are a number of tools to
convert to PDF.

The chain could get long, but possibly PDF -> postscript -> image.

PDFs are getting to be very common on the web. Perhaps you could use
them in preference to images. Images are very fluffy.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Joan

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have been looking for a way to convert Office files
>(.doc/.xls/.ppt)
> to images such as tif or jpegs.
>
> Been looking thru Jakarta POI but it doesn't look to be ready
> for docs
> yet. Also, I am not sure it can convert to tifs.
>
> Does anyone have ideas on how this can be done?
>
> I would like to do it in Java or C. Also, I am working in a
> Linux
> environment.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

I was reading a perl magazine a couple weeks ago and there was a
perl
script to extract graphics pictures from MS Word documents. You
could do
the same thing in Java. Use google there are lots of things out
there.

djgavenda2@yahoo.com

I have google'd about converting Office files to images....came back w/
not much useful stuff.

Anyone else have info on this?? I would like to do it quickly
too...meaning w/o gui and asap.

Thanks,
Dan

Joan wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I have been looking for a way to convert Office files
> >(.doc/.xls/.ppt)
> > to images such as tif or jpegs.
> >
> > Been looking thru Jakarta POI but it doesn't look to be ready
> > for docs
> > yet. Also, I am not sure it can convert to tifs.
> >
> > Does anyone have ideas on how this can be done?
> >
> > I would like to do it in Java or C. Also, I am working in a
> > Linux
> > environment.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dan
> >

> I was reading a perl magazine a couple weeks ago and there was a
> perl
> script to extract graphics pictures from MS Word documents. You
> could do
> the same thing in Java. Use google there are lots of things out
> there.

Oliver Wong

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I have google'd about converting Office files to images....came back w/
> not much useful stuff.
>
> Anyone else have info on this?? I would like to do it quickly
> too...meaning w/o gui and asap.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Do you plan on using Office or writing a stand-alone app?

- Oliver

djgavenda2@yahoo.com

I do not plan on using Office. I want to convert the files
(.doc/.xls/.ppt) to tifs to be used elsewhere.

Want to create a java/c app that converts them to tifs.

Oliver Wong wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >I have google'd about converting Office files to images....came back w/
> > not much useful stuff.
> >
> > Anyone else have info on this?? I would like to do it quickly
> > too...meaning w/o gui and asap.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dan

> Do you plan on using Office or writing a stand-alone app?
>
> - Oliver

Joan

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I do not plan on using Office. I want to convert the files
> (.doc/.xls/.ppt) to tifs to be used elsewhere.
>
> Want to create a java/c app that converts them to tifs.

<snip>

I have a screen dump program written in java. If you want all the
stuff
to be in your tiff, and it sounds like you do, try that.

Oliver Wong

"Joan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>I do not plan on using Office. I want to convert the files
>> (.doc/.xls/.ppt) to tifs to be used elsewhere.
>>
>> Want to create a java/c app that converts them to tifs.

> <snip>
>
> I have a screen dump program written in java. If you want all the stuff
> to be in your tiff, and it sounds like you do, try that.

To dump the screen, you must have a program which can render the
..DOC/.XLS/.PPT files onto screen, but the OP says (s)he does not plan on
using Office.

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I do not plan on using Office. I want to convert the files
> (.doc/.xls/.ppt) to tifs to be used elsewhere.
>
> Want to create a java/c app that converts them to tifs.

Do you know the file formats?

- Oliver

Joan

"Oliver Wong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Joan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>>I do not plan on using Office. I want to convert the files
>>> (.doc/.xls/.ppt) to tifs to be used elsewhere.
>>>
>>> Want to create a java/c app that converts them to tifs.

>> <snip>
>>
>> I have a screen dump program written in java. If you want all
>> the stuff
>> to be in your tiff, and it sounds like you do, try that.

> To dump the screen, you must have a program which can render
> the .DOC/.XLS/.PPT files onto screen, but the OP says (s)he
> does not plan on using Office.
>
> - Oliver

If the issue is cost, MS has free viewer programs that I use to
display XLS and PPT
files on screen; and they work very well. They also have for DOC
but I already
have MS Word. They have more viewers and converters as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/000/viewers.asp

Microsoft Office File Converter Pack
Microsoft Word
Microsoft PowerPoint