Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java & OpenOffice

Java & OpenOffice

ttrifonov

Hello,

does anybody know any lib for using OpenOffice documents from Java?

Thanks in advance

Massimo Dell'Andrea

ttrifonov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> does anybody know any lib for using OpenOffice documents from Java?
>
> Thanks in advance

You can use OpenOffice's SDK
http://udk.openoffice.org/

The Magpie

ttrifonov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> does anybody know any lib for using OpenOffice documents from Java?
>
> Thanks in advance

The SDK provided by Open Office will do fine.

Roedy Green

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:53:06 +0200, Massimo Dell'Andrea
<_massimo_._1975_@_google_._com_> wrote or quoted :

>You can use OpenOffice's SDK
>http://udk.openoffice.org/

I had a look at their website and it has the typical unixoid approach,
leaping into telling you how it works without first telling you what
it is for other than in grand, abstract and sweeping terms that it
interconnects things.

What does it do really?

What real world products does it interconnect.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Steve Sobol

Roedy Green wrote:

> What real world products does it interconnect.

Without doing a ton of research, my guess would be "products produced by
third parties" and "various parts of OpenOffice."

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307

Roedy Green

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:32:18 -0700, Steve Sobol <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote or quoted :

>Without doing a ton of research, my guess would be "products produced by
>third parties" and "various parts of OpenOffice."

How idiotic to produce a product that has to be deeply studied before
you know what is even for.

Imagine if companies wrote similar computational material for
themselves. "It's creamy, its white, it contains surginol, and new
improved enzymatic energisers." Imagine a commercial for a floor wax
that left you unclear whether this stuff was for floors, furniture or
pets, or a dessert topping.
--

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:32:18 -0700, Steve Sobol <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote or quoted :
>

>>Without doing a ton of research, my guess would be "products produced by
>>third parties" and "various parts of OpenOffice."

> How idiotic to produce a product that has to be deeply studied before
> you know what is even for.
>
> Imagine if companies wrote similar computational material for
> themselves. "It's creamy, its white, it contains surginol, and new
> improved enzymatic energisers." Imagine a commercial for a floor wax
> that left you unclear whether this stuff was for floors, furniture or
> pets, or a dessert topping.

Come on, guys - the usual thing for an SDK is that it is a "software
development kit" and what can you say about that? I guess, it would be
too obvious to say it allows you to write software that works with
OpenOffice, but what else can you say?

Ingo R. Homann

Hi,

The Magpie wrote:
> Come on, guys - the usual thing for an SDK is that it is a "software
> development kit" and what can you say about that? I guess, it would be
> too obvious to say it allows you to write software that works with
> OpenOffice, but what else can you say?

Well, I looked at the page as well, and I could not find out if it is
possible to generate an Open-Office-document with the SDK, or to remote
control an Open-Office-Application, or to integrate an
Open-Office-Editor in your Java-application, or ....

I must admit that I do not know it until now, although I'm interested in it!

Ciao,
Ingo

Steve Sobol

Roedy Green wrote:

>>Without doing a ton of research, my guess would be "products produced by
>>third parties" and "various parts of OpenOffice."

> How idiotic to produce a product that has to be deeply studied before
> you know what is even for.

Come on, Roedy. It's an SDK. I have never, ever looked at any literature
regarding the OOo SDK, yet I was able to make what I believe is an accurate
guess as to the purpose of the SDK. It's designed to allow others to hook
into OOo. I don't understand the (apparent) confusion...

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: (E-Mail Removed) Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307