Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Authenticate

Authenticate

freesoft_2000

Hi everyone,

I need to ask a fairly general question about the java
Authenticator class. Its also rather silly but please bear with me

You see if you need to access a URL
that needs a password you can use the Authenticator class and pass the
password if you want to read from the URL.

Now if you want to write to that URL(which most probably
requires a password) can you also use the Authenticator class or is the
Authenticator class meant for reading from URLs only

I hope someone can clear this confusion up for me

Yours Sincerely

Richard West

Roedy Green

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:25:52 -0400, "freesoft_2000"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

> Now if you want to write to that URL(which most probably
>requires a password) can you also use the Authenticator class or is the
>Authenticator class meant for reading from URLs only

You don't write to an URL. You might GET, POST or PUT but there is no
straight forward write.

I assume then you are talking metaphorically. In that case I think
you would simply register a different Authenticator before accessing
the URL.

"Shall I try the experiment?"
~ The Duchess, The Mock Turtle's Story, Alice In Wonderland.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.