Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Cellphone addressing

Re: Cellphone addressing

frankgerlach22@gmx.de

Roedy Green schrieb:

> I would like to understand how cellphones are addressed. I was under
> the impression they each were assigned a number, just like land lines.
> Therefore all North American phone lines would have a number of the
> form (999)999-9999.
>
> I have also heard of SMS, and email. I don't know what sort of
> addresses they use. I would expect email to have addresses something
> like http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>

> Then I saw an ad on TV that for a mere $1 you could get a text joke
> delivered to your phone by sending a text message to a number with 5
> digits. What was that?

It seems that Phone Companies set up smaller numbers for special
services (which often cost a lot)... These five-digit numbers also
appear in Germany. I guess that these numbers are reconized in every
telephone switch and then somehow redirected to another (potentially
longer) phone number. But I am not a telecom export, so maybe I'm wrong.

Joan

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Roedy Green schrieb:
>
>> I would like to understand how cellphones are addressed. I
>> was under
>> the impression they each were assigned a number, just like
>> land lines.
>> Therefore all North American phone lines would have a number
>> of the
>> form (999)999-9999.
>>
>> I have also heard of SMS, and email. I don't know what sort
>> of
>> addresses they use. I would expect email to have addresses
>> something
>> like (E-Mail Removed)
>>

>> Then I saw an ad on TV that for a mere $1 you could get a text
>> joke
>> delivered to your phone by sending a text message to a number
>> with 5
>> digits. What was that?

> It seems that Phone Companies set up smaller numbers for
> special
> services (which often cost a lot)... These five-digit numbers
> also
> appear in Germany. I guess that these numbers are reconized in
> every
> telephone switch and then somehow redirected to another
> (potentially
> longer) phone number. But I am not a telecom export, so maybe
> I'm wrong.

Telephone switches use rules to translate the user input to a
real number.
But there are probably some fixed numbers too, not many.
For so called 800 numbers (includes 888 and 887 etc.) they use a
database.
For VoIP signaling, SIP is often used which uses phone numbers
that look
like internet addresses.