Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > what do most languages call a name-value pairing?

what do most languages call a name-value pairing?

Bush is a Fascist

Hi all,

What do most languages call a name-value pairing?

Or perhaps my question should be, why not just call it
a name-value pairing? Too many syllables?

Did Knuth invent a handy term for such a thing?

Thanks.

Daniel Dyer

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:06:44 +0100, Bush is a Fascist <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> What do most languages call a name-value pairing?
>
> Or perhaps my question should be, why not just call it
> a name-value pairing? Too many syllables?
>
> Did Knuth invent a handy term for such a thing?
>
> Thanks.
> 333

A tuple, or 2-tuple in this case, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuple)?

Dan.

--
Daniel Dyer
http://www.dandyer.co.uk

Roedy Green

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:11:19 +0100, "Daniel Dyer"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>A tuple, or 2-tuple in this case, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuple)?

that just means an n-tuple, fitting pairs or triples of anything. It
is correct, but does not imply name and value as he requested. )

How about:

named values

keyword parameters as opposed to positional parameters (JCL
terminology)

properties (CSS terminology)

keyword=value

cavies (gnuage whimsy)

John Dunlop

Bush is a Fascist wrote:

> What do most languages call a name-value pairing?

In your English you call it a 'name-value pairing', if that
helps.

--
Jock

NC

Bush is a Fascist wrote:

> What do most languages call a name-value pairing?

A symbol table?

> Or perhaps my question should be, why not just call it
> a name-value pairing? Too many syllables?

Well, some names (functions, for example) don't have corresponding
values; they correspond to code snippets...

Cheers,
NC

George Cherry

"Bush is a Fascist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> What do most languages call a name-value pairing?
>
> Or perhaps my question should be, why not just call it
> a name-value pairing? Too many syllables?

Mapping.
Map.
Relation.
Function.
Table.
Dictionary.
???????????

Jim Gibson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, NC
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Bush is a Fascist wrote:
> >
> > What do most languages call a name-value pairing?

> A symbol table?

Associative array?

Roedy Green

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 20:03:00 -0400, "George Cherry"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>Mapping.
>Map.
>Relation.
>Function.
>Table.
>Dictionary.

the Forth term is "vocabulary"

It depend on what the values are. Dictionary implies a definition.
Map implies a correspondence between two sets.
Function implies something that is computed.

What do the SQL people call them?

Richard Bos

"Bush is a Fascist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What do most languages call a name-value pairing?

A troll.

Richard

Thomas G. Marshall

<PLONK>