Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Multiple Deflater Objecters on a file

Multiple Deflater Objecters on a file

Shea Martin

As an academic exercise I am writing a multi-threaded program, in which
each thread uses a Deflater on the same file.

I am pretty sure that I can't just start reading at different offsets
with each deflater. I assume I need a method of sharing the state of
then first deflater. Is there a way I can get the dictionary from a
deflater? I know I can set it...

Thanks,

~S

Shea Martin

Shea Martin wrote:
> As an academic exercise I am writing a multi-threaded program, in which
> each thread uses a Deflater on the same file.
>
> I am pretty sure that I can't just start reading at different offsets
> with each deflater. I assume I need a method of sharing the state of
> then first deflater. Is there a way I can get the dictionary from a
> deflater? I know I can set it...
>
> Thanks,
>
> ~S

Even some notes on how to come up with my own dictionary would work
well. I understand the theory behind a dicitonary, just not the format
used in the byte buffer passed to setDicitonary().

~S

Shea Martin

Shea Martin wrote:

> Shea Martin wrote:
>> As an academic exercise I am writing a multi-threaded program, in which
>> each thread uses a Deflater on the same file.
>>
>> I am pretty sure that I can't just start reading at different offsets
>> with each deflater. I assume I need a method of sharing the state of
>> then first deflater. Is there a way I can get the dictionary from a
>> deflater? I know I can set it...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> ~S

> Even some notes on how to come up with my own dictionary would work
> well. I understand the theory behind a dicitonary, just not the format
> used in the byte buffer passed to setDicitonary().
>
> ~S

I found that the dictionary is no special format, just raw data, that
compression algorithm indexes occurrences of.

~SSSS