Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > KeyStore Blues

KeyStore Blues

Stefan Schulz

Hi all

After being rather forcefully convinced to use a KeyStore object in my
application (since there is an easy way to encode keys, but no way i could
find to decode them again), another problem struck. I can read a KeyStore
just fine. I can also add Public Keys. But once i try to add a PrivateKey
instance, the program aborts because of an incomplete certificate chain.
Since these keys will only be used by my application, i do not really see
why i should go through a long certification process.

Is there any way to self-certify the keys?

--
You can't run away forever,

Pete Barrett

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 12:22:12 +0200, Stefan Schulz <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi all
>
>After being rather forcefully convinced to use a KeyStore object in my
>application (since there is an easy way to encode keys, but no way i could
>find to decode them again), another problem struck. I can read a KeyStore
>just fine. I can also add Public Keys. But once i try to add a PrivateKey
>instance, the program aborts because of an incomplete certificate chain.
>Since these keys will only be used by my application, i do not really see
>why i should go through a long certification process.
>
>Is there any way to self-certify the keys?

Yes. If memory serves, when you generate a key pair using keytool, you
automatically generate a self-certified root certificate. Look in the
keytool documentation in case my meory's faulty, but I think that's
right.

Pete Barrett