Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > How to decide the technology stack in a new architecture.

How to decide the technology stack in a new architecture.

athul.venugopal@gmail.com

Hi all,

I need some advice in deciding the technology stack for my project.
We have a new project to start with.
We are planning to use a combination of struts+hibernate. Will this
suffice all our needs. We are comfortable with JSP, and Servlets.
webserver is tomcat and database is ms sql.

The reason behind this mail is, when I searched in google I got many
projects which are a combination of struts-spring-hibernate. Is it
possible to complete the project with a struts-hibernate framework?

-Thanks in advance,
Athul

Andrew Thompson

On 2 Aug 2005 23:47:57 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I need some advice in deciding the technology stack for my project.

> We are planning to use a combination of struts+hibernate. Will this
> suffice all our needs.

Struts/hibernate is completey unsuited to 2D graphics rendering.

Why did I mention that?

Basically because you failed to mention some slight details
of your project that might be relevant. Things like..

What does it *do*?
What volumes of traffic do you expect?
What constraints are there in terms of... ?
What your 'needs' are..

--
Andrew Thompson
LIVE From Omicron Persei 8

Andrew Thompson

On 2 Aug 2005 23:47:57 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> The reason behind this mail ...

And this is not 'mail', nor is it 'groups-beta',
it is a post to a Usenet Newsgroup.
<http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#usenet>

Please read the entire FAQ, you might find lots of tips
in it, including 'Be Specific'..

--
Andrew Thompson
Or Is It?

athul.venugopal@gmail.com

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
And sorry for not being specific.

It is a financial application. And there will be no 2D graphics.
We expect a traffic of 300 page hits per day, and an worst case of
20-30 users accessing it simulteneously.

Most of the workflow is like, getting some data from the forms in HTML
and saving it in database and displaying it back whenever it requested.
They are the main needs.

I think I have given necessary inputs. if not please bug me again.

Andrew Thompson

On 3 Aug 2005 00:16:13 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for the reply.

You're welcome. I suspect that the folks who can answer
your question (I'm not one of them) now have enough info.*
to start formulating answers.

Hope you find what you need..

* And if they don't, perhaps they should say so!

--
Andrew Thompson
Controlling You Through A Chip In Your Butt Since 1999

jan V

> I need some advice in deciding the technology stack for my project.
> We have a new project to start with.
> We are planning to use a combination of struts+hibernate. Will this
> suffice all our needs. We are comfortable with JSP, and Servlets.
> webserver is tomcat and database is ms sql.

And you expect a useful answer to your question when you don't even give ANY
hint as to what your project is about? Are you for real? You definitely
sound like you're the kind of developer who will be a liability on this
project...

Scott Ellsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> It is a financial application. And there will be no 2D graphics.
> We expect a traffic of 300 page hits per day, and an worst case of
> 20-30 users accessing it simulteneously.

300 page hits a day is trivial. Virtually any tech stack can handle
that.

20 - 30 users at one time is a bit more exciting, especially if they hit
it all at once.

I would suggest you put together a mockup HTML page of a 'typical' user
session. For example, the 'get all stocks starting with Z' query, might
be a good start.

Then, figure out how many db queries this would take to answer. Say,
two hundred, generating a two hundred row table. Bang together a
screenshot of same, so you have a sorta-spec.

Finally, decide the longest wait you are willing to suffer through if 45
(half again your worst case) hit it at the exact same time. Half a
second? Ten seconds?

With this together, you can put together something really easy, like a
simple JSP/Struts app that pushes back something of roughly the same
size, based on a query that always returns the same results. This
should take less than a day to put together.

Time it, with something like JMeter or the like.

Frankly, with only a few hundred hits a day, and loose requirements on
your 45 hits, you can use just about anything. I would probably use
Tapestry and Hibernate, but JSP/Struts, or Ruby on Rails, or Mason in
Perl would work, depending on what your team either knows or wants to
learn.

Scott
--
(E-Mail Removed)
Java, Cocoa, and database consulting for the life sciences

--
Scott Ellsworth
(E-Mail Removed)