Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Why didn't Sun put common methods found in DatagramChannel and SocketChannelhigher up the hierachy?

Why didn't Sun put common methods found in DatagramChannel and SocketChannelhigher up the hierachy?

-

I noticed that most of the abstract methods in DatagramChannel and
SocketChannel are the same. Why didn't Sun put those methods higher up
by creating a class that extends AbstractSelectableChannel?

Stefan Schulz

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:20:19 +0800, - wrote:

> I noticed that most of the abstract methods in DatagramChannel and
> SocketChannel are the same. Why didn't Sun put those methods higher up
> by creating a class that extends AbstractSelectableChannel?

Ask whoever did the NIO design. It alternates between absolutely divine
concepts and absolutely abysmal ones. (Buffers, anyone?)

--
You can't run away forever,

Harald

Stefan Schulz <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:20:19 +0800, - wrote:
> Ask whoever did the NIO design. It alternates between absolutely divine
> concepts and absolutely abysmal ones. (Buffers, anyone?)

You mean Buffers instanceof Abysmal? I completely agree. To flip() or
not to flip() is always the question. What would be wrong with a
straight forward circular buffer design is a mystery to me.

Harald.

--
Harald Kirsch (@home)|