Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Best Compiler

Reply
Thread Tools

Best Compiler

 
 
Gary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2005
I'm just about to start a course in data structures and algorithms using
Java as the language. I haven't touched Java for a couple of years. Can
anyone advise of a good compiler to use. Most recently I've been using
Microsoft C++ .Net in ANSI mode, and I have liked using this tool.

Thanks for any advice..


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andrew Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2005
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:14:38 +1000, Gary wrote:

> I'm just about to start a course in data structures and algorithms using
> Java as the language. I haven't touched Java for a couple of years. Can
> anyone advise of a good compiler to use.


Sun's. It comes with the SDK.

>..Most recently I've been using
> Microsoft C++ .Net in ANSI mode, and I have liked using this tool.


Do you like command line tools?

--
Andrew Thompson
physci.org 1point1c.org javasaver.com lensescapes.com athompson.info
Mr Bender's Wardrobe By ROBOTANY 500
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Martijn Mulder
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2005
> I'm just about to start a course in data structures and algorithms using
> Java as the language. I haven't touched Java for a couple of years. Can
> anyone advise of a good compiler to use. Most recently I've been using
> Microsoft C++ .Net in ANSI mode, and I have liked using this tool.




jikes.exe is very fast. But you need to include the -classpath on
the command line or in the batch file.

http://jikes.sourceforge.net/


 
Reply With Quote
 
Knute Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2005
Martijn Mulder wrote:
>>I'm just about to start a course in data structures and algorithms using
>>Java as the language. I haven't touched Java for a couple of years. Can
>>anyone advise of a good compiler to use. Most recently I've been using
>>Microsoft C++ .Net in ANSI mode, and I have liked using this tool.

>
>
>
>
> jikes.exe is very fast. But you need to include the -classpath on
> the command line or in the batch file.
>
> http://jikes.sourceforge.net/
>
>


Martijn:

You don't actually have to do that. You can add an environment variable
JIKESPATH. You have to include the location of rt.jar though.

Oh I guess I shouldn't be so hasty, the procedure is slightly different
on Linux.

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Martijn Mulder
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2005
Knute Johnson wrote:
> Martijn Mulder wrote:
>>> I'm just about to start a course in data structures and
>>> algorithms using Java as the language. I haven't
>>> touched Java for a couple of years. Can anyone advise
>>> of a good compiler to use. Most recently I've been
>>> using Microsoft C++ .Net in ANSI mode, and I have liked
>>> using this tool.

>>
>>
>>
>>
>> jikes.exe is very fast. But you need to include the
>> -classpath on the command line or in the batch file.
>>
>> http://jikes.sourceforge.net/
>>
>>

> You don't actually have to do that. You can add an
> environment variable JIKESPATH. You have to include the
> location of rt.jar though.
>
> Oh I guess I shouldn't be so hasty, the procedure is
> slightly different on Linux.



This is what I have in my jikes.bat file:

jikes.exe -Xstdout -classpath c:\jdk1.5.0\jre\lib\rt.jar -deprecation %1 >
error.txt
vi.exe error.txt

Only 1 key press from vi.exe. Yeah!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lee Weiner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2005
In article <1121951696.e31933f0f01beb1df5e9d1b3f422c2f3@teran ews>, "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm just about to start a course in data structures and algorithms using
>Java as the language. I haven't touched Java for a couple of years. Can
>anyone advise of a good compiler to use. Most recently I've been using
>Microsoft C++ .Net in ANSI mode, and I have liked using this tool.


Do you mean "compiler", or do you really mean "IDE"?

Lee Weiner
lee AT leeweiner DOT org
 
Reply With Quote
 
E.Otter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2005
If you meant to say "IDE" instead of "compiler" check these free options
out:
Eclipse from www.eclipse.org
JDeveloper from www.oracle.com
Netbeans from www.netbeans.org

My preference is for Eclipse


 
Reply With Quote
 
Joan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2005

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1121951696.e31933f0f01beb1df5e9d1b3f422c2f3@t eranews...
> I'm just about to start a course in data structures and algorithms using
> Java as the language. I haven't touched Java for a couple of years. Can
> anyone advise of a good compiler to use. Most recently I've been using
> Microsoft C++ .Net in ANSI mode, and I have liked using this tool.
>

For you, best means
"provides the most information when my program
is not correct so I can get it working"
I use Eclipse IDE and if there are errors in a Java source file, Eclipse
marks
it with a little red x. Furthermore if I click on the x it gives me some
idea of what's wrong (e.g. "you need a semicolon to complete this
statement").


 
Reply With Quote
 
Knute Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2005
Martijn Mulder wrote:
>
>
> This is what I have in my jikes.bat file:
>
> jikes.exe -Xstdout -classpath c:\jdk1.5.0\jre\lib\rt.jar -deprecation %1 >
> error.txt
> vi.exe error.txt
>
> Only 1 key press from vi.exe. Yeah!
>


That's pretty slick Martijn!

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2005
Thanks to all for your advice... I did actually mean IDE, Eclipse appears to
be a good start...

Regards,
Gary




"Joan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1121951696.e31933f0f01beb1df5e9d1b3f422c2f3@t eranews...
>> I'm just about to start a course in data structures and algorithms using
>> Java as the language. I haven't touched Java for a couple of years. Can
>> anyone advise of a good compiler to use. Most recently I've been using
>> Microsoft C++ .Net in ANSI mode, and I have liked using this tool.
>>

> For you, best means
> "provides the most information when my program
> is not correct so I can get it working"
> I use Eclipse IDE and if there are errors in a Java source file, Eclipse
> marks
> it with a little red x. Furthermore if I click on the x it gives me some
> idea of what's wrong (e.g. "you need a semicolon to complete this
> statement").
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compiler Error Message: The compiler failed with error code -1073741819 Ram ASP .Net 0 09-13-2005 09:52 AM
Why is a JIT compiler faster than a byte-compiler RickMuller Python 4 03-26-2005 04:30 PM
Compiler compiler with C++ as output Andrey Batyuck C++ 3 05-17-2004 08:17 PM
Can we use <compiler> tag to avoid RunTime Compiler error? Jack Wright ASP .Net 5 01-19-2004 04:36 PM
Compiler Error Message: The compiler failed with error code 128. Yan ASP .Net 0 07-21-2003 10:49 PM



Advertisments