Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Struts and multiple developers

Struts and multiple developers

nkunkov@plusfunds.com

Hi, my company is considering using struts but it looks like it would
be hard to use it for a project with multiple developers since you have
a central struts-config.xml file. Can you tell me if this statement is
right or there is a way to use struts in a multiple devlopers
environment without constantly sharing the same file? If you wouldn't
choose struts would you just rewrite a controller servlet? Or there is
one outhere?
Appreciate your insight.
Thanks
NK

Daniel Dyer

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:30:27 +0100, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi, my company is considering using struts but it looks like it would
> be hard to use it for a project with multiple developers since you have
> a central struts-config.xml file. Can you tell me if this statement is
> right or there is a way to use struts in a multiple devlopers
> environment without constantly sharing the same file? If you wouldn't
> choose struts would you just rewrite a controller servlet? Or there is
> one outhere?
> Appreciate your insight.
> Thanks
> NK

I have used Struts recently so things may be different now, but in the
past I've used it in a team of four or five developers without any
problems. Sharing the config file shouldn't be a problem, that's what
your configuration management system is for.

Dan.

--
Daniel Dyer
http://www.dandyer.co.uk

Daniel Dyer

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:42:04 +0100, Daniel Dyer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have used Struts recently so things may be different now...

That should read "I haven't used Struts recently..."

Dan.

--
Daniel Dyer
http://www.dandyer.co.uk

Wendy Smoak

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi, my company is considering using struts but it looks like it would
> be hard to use it for a project with multiple developers since you have
> a central struts-config.xml file. Can you tell me if this statement is
> right or there is a way to use struts in a multiple devlopers
> environment without constantly sharing the same file?

http://struts.apache.org/userGuide/c...e_config-files

5.3.1 Module Configuration Files

Back in Struts 1.0, a few "boot-strap" options were placed in the web.xml
file, and the bulk of the configuration was done in a single
struts-config.xml file. Obviously, this wasn't ideal for a team environment,
since multiple users had to share the same configuration file.

Since Struts 1.1, you have two options: you can list multiple struts-config
files as a comma-delimited list, or you can subdivide a larger application
into modules.

With the advent of modules, a given module has its own configuration file.
This means each team (each module would presumably be developed by a single
team) has their own configuration file, and there should be a lot less
contention when trying to modify it.

--
Wendy Smoak

iksrazal@terra.com.br

Use Ant to automagically create the file. You simply place tags in
every Action, and then Ant will analyse the source at build time and
create the struts-config.xml . Let a tool do it - the file gets big and
unwieldly. I'm currently on a project with 8 developers, 5 doing only
struts, and we have no problems at all on the config file side.

HTH,
iksrazal
http://www.braziloutsource.com/

nkunkov@plusfunds.com

Thanks for all your insights, very appreciated....
NK

Al Wichert

> Hi, my company is considering using struts but it looks like it would
> be hard to use it for a project with multiple developers since you have
> a central struts-config.xml file. Can you tell me if this statement is
> right or there is a way to use struts in a multiple devlopers
> environment without constantly sharing the same file? If you wouldn't
> choose struts would you just rewrite a controller servlet? Or there is
> one outhere?
> Appreciate your insight.
> Thanks
> NK

Hi we use Struts since release 0.5 and we never had a serious problem.
Our team consists of 8 GUI developers.
Try subversion as source code management tool.

Al