Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > JComboBox width, dropdown list width

JComboBox width, dropdown list width

Xu

Hi i am wondering if there is a simple way to reduce a jcombobox visual
size (i want only to display the dropdown button).
When i use jcombobox.setPreferedSize(20,20); the drop down list is also
reduced width=20.. but i want that the dropdown list to be width
according to a item(string).

Andrew Thompson

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:41:35 +0200, Xu wrote:

> Hi i am wondering if there is a simple way to reduce a jcombobox visual
> size (i want only to display the dropdown button).
> When i use jcombobox.setPreferedSize(20,20); the drop down list is also
> reduced width=20.. but i want that the dropdown list to be width
> according to a item(string).

Sounds more like a Menu you are after. Or at least that
is what the end user would probably prefer to a drop-down
list that looks or behaves in a way that is 'unusual'..

--
Andrew Thompson
LIVE From Omicron Persei 8

Xu

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:41:35 +0200, Xu wrote:
>

>>Hi i am wondering if there is a simple way to reduce a jcombobox visual
>>size (i want only to display the dropdown button).
>>When i use jcombobox.setPreferedSize(20,20); the drop down list is also
>>reduced width=20.. but i want that the dropdown list to be width
>>according to a item(string).

> Sounds more like a Menu you are after. Or at least that
> is what the end user would probably prefer to a drop-down
> list that looks or behaves in a way that is 'unusual'..

I am trying to create a JButton + JComboBox, i dont know how those
widget are called.. but you can find them in firefox or in internet
explorer.(Back and Forward Button's).

Andrew Thompson

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:31:08 +0200, Xu wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:41:35 +0200, Xu wrote:
>>
>>>Hi i am wondering if there is a simple way to reduce a jcombobox visual
>>>size

>> Sounds more like a Menu you are after. Or at least that
>> is what the end user would probably prefer to a drop-down
>> list that looks or behaves in a way that is 'unusual'..

> ..you can find them in firefox or in internet
> explorer.(Back and Forward Button's).

Aha! Good point. Yes.. I not only see the type
of control you mean, but am so used to using it
I barely notice it. This pretty much blows my theory
of 'unusual' out of the water!

I'll wait to see what the GUI experts here on..
Wait a second.. You won't find the GUI experts here!
These c.l.j.programmers could not hack out a GUI if
their life depended on it. [ ]

I suggest you
a) put this question to comp.lang.java.gui
b) mention you had your time wasted by a c.l.j.programmer
(more to warn of/explain the multi-post)
c) Mention the FF/IE back button.
(A picture paints a thousand words!)

HTH

--
Andrew Thompson
Mr Bender's Wardrobe By ROBOTANY 500

Xu

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:31:08 +0200, Xu wrote:
>
>>Andrew Thompson wrote:

> ..
>
>>>Sounds more like a Menu you are after. Or at least that
>>>is what the end user would probably prefer to a drop-down
>>>list that looks or behaves in a way that is 'unusual'..

>>..you can find them in firefox or in internet
>>explorer.(Back and Forward Button's).

> Aha! Good point. Yes.. I not only see the type
> of control you mean, but am so used to using it
> I barely notice it. This pretty much blows my theory
> of 'unusual' out of the water!
>
> I'll wait to see what the GUI experts here on..
> Wait a second.. You won't find the GUI experts here!
> These c.l.j.programmers could not hack out a GUI if
> their life depended on it. [ ]
>
> I suggest you
> a) put this question to comp.lang.java.gui
> b) mention you had your time wasted by a c.l.j.programmer
> (more to warn of/explain the multi-post)
> c) Mention the FF/IE back button.
> (A picture paints a thousand words!)
>
> HTH

Ah ok.. tnx for your advise

Andrew Thompson

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:21:04 +0200, Xu wrote:

> Ah ok.. tnx for your advise

You're welcome.

I saw your post on c.l.j.gui. Hope you
find your optimal solution.

--
Andrew Thompson
Soon To Be A Major Religion

Thomas G. Marshall

Andrew Thompson coughed up:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:31:08 +0200, Xu wrote:
>> Andrew Thompson wrote:

> ..
>>> Sounds more like a Menu you are after. Or at least that
>>> is what the end user would probably prefer to a drop-down
>>> list that looks or behaves in a way that is 'unusual'..

>> ..you can find them in firefox or in internet
>> explorer.(Back and Forward Button's).

> Aha! Good point. Yes.. I not only see the type
> of control you mean, but am so used to using it
> I barely notice it. This pretty much blows my theory
> of 'unusual' out of the water!
>
> I'll wait to see what the GUI experts here on..
> Wait a second.. You won't find the GUI experts here!
> These c.l.j.programmers could not hack out a GUI if
> their life depended on it. [ ]

WHAT!!!???!!!!!

{author thumbs through ebay for a sniper rifle...}

--
"So I just, uh... I just cut them up like regular chickens?"
"Sure, just cut them up like regular chickens."

Xu

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
> Andrew Thompson coughed up:

>>..

>>>..you can find them in firefox or in internet
>>>explorer.(Back and Forward Button's).

>>Aha! Good point. Yes.. I not only see the type
>>of control you mean, but am so used to using it
>>I barely notice it. This pretty much blows my theory
>>of 'unusual' out of the water!
>>
>>I'll wait to see what the GUI experts here on..
>>Wait a second.. You won't find the GUI experts here!
>>These c.l.j.programmers could not hack out a GUI if
>>their life depended on it. [ ]

> WHAT!!!???!!!!!
>
> {author thumbs through ebay for a sniper rifle...}
>

>>I suggest you
>>a) put this question to comp.lang.java.gui
>>b) mention you had your time wasted by a c.l.j.programmer
>>(more to warn of/explain the multi-post)
>>c) Mention the FF/IE back button.
>>(A picture paints a thousand words!)
>>
>>HTH

Can i borrow your sniper rifle?

Andrew Thompson

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 03:42:18 GMT, Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
> Andrew Thompson coughed up:

>> These c.l.j.programmers could not hack out a GUI if
>> their life depended on it. [ ]

> WHAT!!!???!!!!!
>
> {author thumbs through ebay for a sniper rifle...}

LOL! I must have said that at least two to thirty times on
separate threads hoping c.l.j.p.ers would get a chuckle[1] from it.

NOW they notice! SheEEesh...

[1] Other people (apparently) don't find it as funny as I do..

--
Andrew Thompson
Transmitido en Martian en SAP

Xu

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 03:42:18 GMT, Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
>
>>Andrew Thompson coughed up:

>>>These c.l.j.programmers could not hack out a GUI if
>>>their life depended on it. [ ]

>>{author thumbs through ebay for a sniper rifle...}

> LOL! I must have said that at least two to thirty times on
> separate threads hoping c.l.j.p.ers would get a chuckle[1] from it.
>
> NOW they notice! SheEEesh...
>
> [1] Other people (apparently) don't find it as funny as I do..

Different people.. different humor.