Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > JDBC driver for MySQL without gpr?

JDBC driver for MySQL without gpr?

TDOR

Is there any jdbc driver for mysql that dont require
the program that uses the driver to be gpl or some other
open source license?

John Currier

That's an interesting question that leads to other questions related to
the insestuous nature of the GPL philosophy.

If a program uses MySQL does the program have to be GPL? Does it
matter if the driver is GPL or not?

If a program provides a pluggable driver interface (like my LGPL-based
SchemaSpy) and people run it with a GPL-based driver does the program
have to be GPL? Sounds ludicrous, but....

John
http://schemaspy.sourceforge.net

Frank

TDOR wrote:
> Is there any jdbc driver for mysql that dont require
> the program that uses the driver to be gpl or some other
> open source license?

Ever heard of PostgreSQL, Firebird or Ingres?
Or perhaps HSQLDB, Apache Derby (Cloudscape) or McKoi?

Scott Ellsworth

In article <42d615d9$(E-Mail Removed)>, Frank <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> TDOR wrote:
> > Is there any jdbc driver for mysql that dont require
> > the program that uses the driver to be gpl or some other
> > open source license?

> Ever heard of PostgreSQL, Firebird or Ingres?
> Or perhaps HSQLDB, Apache Derby (Cloudscape) or McKoi?

Doesn't answer his question. He may well have to access mysql.

Unfortunately, I have no better answer - the mysql drivers are the only
ones I know of, and they require either GPL code, a commercial license,
or your program to link to them, rather than embed them. (If they are
not lgpl, then that last does not apply. Our code is GPL, so I have not
checked lately.)

Scott

--
Scott Ellsworth
Java and database consulting for the life sciences