Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > starting a weblogic servlet?

starting a weblogic servlet?

laredotornado@zipmail.com

Hello,
I have written a basic servlet of the form

public final class MyServlet extends HttpServlet
{
public void init(ServletConfig config) throws ServletException
{
super.init(config)
/* do other stuff */
}

}

My question is, what do I need to do so that the "init" method is
invoked upon servlet (i.e. Weblogic) startup? I'm using Weblogic 5.1
sp 12 on Sun Solaris.

Thanks for your help, - Dave

Juha Laiho

>Hello,
> I have written a basic servlet of the form
>
>public final class MyServlet extends HttpServlet
>{
> public void init(ServletConfig config) throws ServletException
> {
> super.init(config)
> /* do other stuff */
> }
>
>}
>
>My question is, what do I need to do so that the "init" method is
>invoked upon servlet (i.e. Weblogic) startup? I'm using Weblogic 5.1
>sp 12 on Sun Solaris.

web.xml has directives to request the webapp container to initialize
a servlet on startup.
--
Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland

laredotornado@zipmail.com

Unfortunately the concept of web.xml files predates weblogic 5.1 There
is some specific way in the WL 5.1 configuration to start a servlet,
but I don't know how. Any advice?

Andrew Thompson

On 8 Jul 2005 05:25:19 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Unfortunately the concept of web.xml files predates weblogic 5.1 ..

I suspect you mean WL 5.1 predates web.xml?

--
Andrew Thompson

.

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Unfortunately the concept of web.xml files predates weblogic 5.1 There
> is some specific way in the WL 5.1 configuration to start a servlet,
> but I don't know how. Any advice?

Okay, it has to be said... you realize that BEA dropped support for 5.1
back in February 2004, right?

I'm not an expert on WebLogic 5.1 but you are right; it does not have web
application deployment descriptors (i.e. META-INF/web.xml). You need to
set up the Servlet ACLs and register it in the weblogic.properties file.
Something like:

weblogic.httpd.register.<virtual_name>=<servlet_cl ass_name>
weblogic.allow.execute.weblogic.servlet.<virtual_n ame>=<acl>

The full documentation on weblogic.properties can be found at
http://www.weblogic.com/docs51/admin...roperties.html. There is a
section on registering your servlet.

A full list of all resources for WebLogic 5.1 can be found at the
following URL: http://www.weblogic.com/docs51/resources.html.