Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Requirement For Running Java Programs

Requirement For Running Java Programs

James

Hi all,

Just wondering if I need java sdk as well to run java programs?

Cheers!

John Currier

Nope, just a runtime (a.k.a JRE - Java Runtime Environment).

An SDK is usually only required if you want to do development.

John
http://schemaspy.sourceforge.net

jack

No, all you need is the JRE. The SDK is only needed for development.

James wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just wondering if I need java sdk as well to run java programs?
>
> Cheers!

jack

cool, we replied at the same time

John Currier

If only I hadn't looked it over before hitting submit...

Raymond DeCampo

James wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just wondering if I need java sdk as well to run java programs?
>
> Cheers!

The short answer is no. The long answer is it depends. If the
particular application is a J2EE web container, then you will need a JDK
as well.

Ray

--
XML is the programmer's duct tape.