Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Graph generation ?

Graph generation ?

DeMZed

Hello,

I'm looking for a sofware solution which can help me in filling those
needs :
1) Generate 2D graphs (i'm not stuck on a format)
2) graphs must be zoomable
3) dragging the mouse over the graphs, it should tell the X & Y values
4) clicking on a plot let me correct its Y value, or delete it
completely

Do you know such solutions which approximate those needs ?

The fourth point is really uncommon, I think, but I need it.

In fact, this product intends to be included in a web application (with
or whitout applets or SWF), to display scientific measures and let the
experimenter modify values ...

Thanks a lot for any help !

shakah

DeMZed wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a sofware solution which can help me in filling those
> needs :
> 1) Generate 2D graphs (i'm not stuck on a format)
> 2) graphs must be zoomable
> 3) dragging the mouse over the graphs, it should tell the X & Y values
> 4) clicking on a plot let me correct its Y value, or delete it
> completely
>
> Do you know such solutions which approximate those needs ?
>
> The fourth point is really uncommon, I think, but I need it.
>
> In fact, this product intends to be included in a web application (with
> or whitout applets or SWF), to display scientific measures and let the
> experimenter modify values ...
>
> Thanks a lot for any help !

If you're thinking of a server-side solution, I've used KavaChart for
similar applications (www.ve.com) in the past. You can get most (if not
all) of what you want by generating the images and image maps on the
server, along with some basic HTML and Javascript for interactivity.

One caveat, though -- at the time I used KavaChart they had simple
licensing structure, looking at the site now they seem a bit more
complicated.

DeMZed

Thanks for this solution, it was close of what my customer wants.

Close, because he wants to have interactivity ; zooming and modifying
data on the fly, making the graph immediatly appears modified, are
essential functionnalities... it does not help me

With such needs, I think that I have to develop want he wants in an
applet, or something like that : I didn't see anything which offers
interactivity on the plots of the graph

So I should look for an open source solution to start from.. but which
one ? I did not practice any one.

shakah a écrit :
> DeMZed wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm looking for a sofware solution which can help me in filling those
> > needs :
> > 1) Generate 2D graphs (i'm not stuck on a format)
> > 2) graphs must be zoomable
> > 3) dragging the mouse over the graphs, it should tell the X & Y values
> > 4) clicking on a plot let me correct its Y value, or delete it
> > completely
> >
> > Do you know such solutions which approximate those needs ?
> >
> > The fourth point is really uncommon, I think, but I need it.
> >
> > In fact, this product intends to be included in a web application (with
> > or whitout applets or SWF), to display scientific measures and let the
> > experimenter modify values ...
> >
> > Thanks a lot for any help !

> If you're thinking of a server-side solution, I've used KavaChart for
> similar applications (www.ve.com) in the past. You can get most (if not
> all) of what you want by generating the images and image maps on the
> server, along with some basic HTML and Javascript for interactivity.
>
> One caveat, though -- at the time I used KavaChart they had simple
> licensing structure, looking at the site now they seem a bit more
> complicated.

shakah

DeMZed wrote:
> Thanks for this solution, it was close of what my customer wants.
>
> Close, because he wants to have interactivity ; zooming and modifying
> data on the fly, making the graph immediatly appears modified, are
> essential functionnalities... it does not help me
>
> With such needs, I think that I have to develop want he wants in an
> applet, or something like that : I didn't see anything which offers
> interactivity on the plots of the graph
>
> So I should look for an open source solution to start from.. but which
> one ? I did not practice any one.

You'd probably never get a server-side solution to be as smooth as a
client-side one, but KavaChart does allow you to associate labels &
URLs with data points (via the HTML image MAP) which, with a bit of
thought, can be used to provide rudimentary interactivity. For example,
you could associate a Javascript method with each point that popped up
a "context menu" which let the user to delete or modify the value --
depending on your graph regeneration time you might find it an
acceptable alternative to an applet (though a bit clunky).

Mark Thornton

DeMZed wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a sofware solution which can help me in filling those
> needs :
> 1) Generate 2D graphs (i'm not stuck on a format)
> 2) graphs must be zoomable
> 3) dragging the mouse over the graphs, it should tell the X & Y values
> 4) clicking on a plot let me correct its Y value, or delete it
> completely
>
> Do you know such solutions which approximate those needs ?
>
> The fourth point is really uncommon, I think, but I need it.
>
> In fact, this product intends to be included in a web application (with
> or whitout applets or SWF), to display scientific measures and let the
> experimenter modify values ...
>
> Thanks a lot for any help !

Have a look at SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) at http://www.w3.org/

Mark Thornton

DeMZed

Yep, I know SVG but my graph are really complicated : scientific
measures, several graph on several axes...
SVG don't fit my needs.
Furthermore, event if I would choose this technology, the amout of data
needed to be generated, the descriptive XML, would too huge and heavy
for my recommandations ...