Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > how to implement load balance?

how to implement load balance?

keredil@gmail.com

Suppose I want to develop a large-scale application to which tens of
thousands of clients connect simultaneously. Could you give me some
idea on how to implement load balance?

Thanks!

Lucy

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Suppose I want to develop a large-scale application to which tens of
> thousands of clients connect simultaneously. Could you give me some
> idea on how to implement load balance?
>
> Thanks!

You mean something similar to what amazon.com does?

Bjorn Borud

[(E-Mail Removed)]
| Suppose I want to develop a large-scale application to which tens of
| thousands of clients connect simultaneously. Could you give me some
| idea on how to implement load balance?

get more machines.

| Thanks!

you're welcome.

-Bjørn

Lucy

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Suppose I want to develop a large-scale application to which tens of
> thousands of clients connect simultaneously. Could you give me some
> idea on how to implement load balance?
>
> Thanks!

I think the basic idea is to have some hardware switching device(s) that
route incoming
calls (or whatever you call them) to one of a large set of cpus that handle
the initial request.
It would be nice if the switching gear could obtain the load on each of
these front end
cpus, but it could just round robin to them. A front end box could handle
the request
itself or pass it off to a middle tier box for special requests.

keredil@gmail.com

Suppose there will be 100,000 or more socket connections. Apparently
it's not a good practice for one process handles these requests by
creating those corresponding service threads. Maybe it's not allowed by
operating system. So I'd like to use 10 or more machines, and each
machine has 1 to 10 processes. The point is how to design a front end
box as Lucy said?

Lucy

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Suppose there will be 100,000 or more socket connections. Apparently
> it's not a good practice for one process handles these requests by
> creating those corresponding service threads. Maybe it's not allowed by
> operating system. So I'd like to use 10 or more machines, and each
> machine has 1 to 10 processes. The point is how to design a front end
> box as Lucy said?

Can't you just buy it?

Thomas Weidenfeller

> Suppose there will be 100,000 or more socket connections.

TCP? You have some serious homework ahead of you: You might want to go
back and learn the basics of this IP thing.

You only have 2^16 ports for TCP connections per IPv4 interface. So your
100000+ (assumed TCP) connections are well beyond what you can handle on
one interface.

> So I'd like to use 10 or more machines, and each
> machine has 1 to 10 processes. The point is how to design a front end
> box as Lucy said?

Buy a load balancer. No, wait, hire some professional who designs the
system (hardware and software) for you. This is not something which can
be made to work by a few hours of toying with Java code.

/Thomas

--
The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ: